Replacement MOSFET advice, please?

Mycroft

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
Hi All
My wife's fairly ancient Powabyke Shopper developed a fault whereby the motor came on full speed as soon as the ignition was switched on. I tracked this down to a blown MOSFET in the controller. The controller has 3 large transistors of which one has blown - it is type Y20100DN (marked "D2" on the PCB). The other 2 are both HY1001M and show no visible signs of failure (marked "V1" and "V2" on the PCB).

My first question: is there an up-to-date alternative to the Y20100DN that I could use in stead that might be more robust etc? They appear to be quite difficult to get hold of (one seller on eBay has them). The eBay guy charges £8 including P&P which seems a bit steep but isn't a problem so long as it fixes the fault and it doesn't blow again. Which brings me to...

My second question: do these transistors "just blow" - or is it likely there is some other fault that caused it to blow?

Bike details
Powabyke Shopper
36V
Brushed motor (I believe)
Controller model AK-18AP

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Cheers
John

D

Deleted member 4366

Blown mosfets is a common problem on brushed motor controllers. We also see it occasionally on brushless ones. The reasons are complicated and sometimes depend on the exact circuitry and software settings as well as the type of mosfets.

I haven't studied a Powabyke controller, so I'm not sure about the configuration, but I know that with other controllers, there can be consequential damage when mosfets blow.

Brushed controllers are very cheap, and use can use any of them to control that motor. You need one that can provide around 20 amps. The difficulty is to find one with a pedal sensor function. They mainly are for throttle control only. the next problem is that your throttle gives a backwards signal compared with standard, so you need to get a standard one to work with any other controller. A throttle is about a fiver and a controller £15, so £20 would get you going.

A friend of mine did some work on a Powabyke controller, so I'll call him later to see if he has any additional info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mycroft

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
Hi d8veh - thanks for the quick response.

I didn't realize you can run a brushed motor from a brushless controller - but if I did that (with a new throttle) without a pedal crank sensor, would I be risking it becoming illegal as there is no speed sensor on the bike as far as I can see..?

One further piece of info - although the blown transistor definitely says Y20100DN - I noticed in another post someone mentioned a Y2010DN (fewer zeroes) and I *think* they are the same thing. I have searched for a datasheet on Y20100DN without success, but found one for Y2010DN easily. So *if* they are the same thing, having found a datasheet it should make finding alternatives a bit easier.

Cheers
John

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Hi d8veh - thanks for the quick response.

I didn't realize you can run a brushed motor from a brushless controller

Cheers
John
I'm 99% sure you cannot , only 1% unsure as d8veh said you can !

But I think there is misunderstand /miscommunication at play thh

Advertisers