Repositioning speed sensor

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
apologies if this has been done to death, but I was looking at a used Haibike SDuro which had been derestricted by relocating the speed sensor to the crank.

I know you can get dongles to derestric the motor, but not this, presumably cheaper, mod.

Would this be detectable for warranty purposes?

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
Presumably this is much less sophisticated as well? I understand that it is illegal, but wondered why buy a dongle if this is essentially doing the same.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
The data from the internal sensors can be read. I don't have the level of access to see all the data that the manufacturer does.
In terms of what you are saying it's all about defeating the speed sensor, but that's something I don't do.
I was referring to fraud as the illegal bit as it was unclear if you are Road riding.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

It's doing the same as what the dongle does: reduces the number of speed pulses that the controller sees. Bosch got wind of that mod, so they changed the software on later models to detect it and give an error code. Yours will be fine like that. I doubt that it would be detected from any stored values that can be read by a dealer, neither is it a criminal offence to do it. Presumably, that was meant as a joke above.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
Yes it's fraudulently claiming on a warranty, attempting to gain goods by deception - what ever you want to call it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
It's doing the same as what the dongle does: reduces the number of speed pulses that the controller sees. Bosch got wind of that mod, so they changed the software on later models to detect it and give an error code. Yours will be fine like that. I doubt that it would be detected from any stored values that can be read by a dealer, neither is it a criminal offence to do it. Presumably, that was meant as a joke above.
The system can be interrogated for the information, so they can tell.
Why do you think it's a joke to try and defraud a company out of a £500 battery?
You breach the terms and conditions of the warranty and try to cover it up when you inevitably burn the components out faster, then as with any tuning, you should accept financial responsibility for your actions.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The speed limit is legal requirement, it shouldn't effect reliability of drive system, especially if Yamaha have designed it correctly.
A sustained climb up steep hill will put more strain on drive system and that can happen on unmodified bike.

NB this modification will not work on Shimano STEPs drive.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes it's fraudulently claiming on a warranty, attempting to gain goods by deception - what ever you want to call it.

Why should it affect the warranty? It doesn't change the power or torque in any way...

.. and why would he want to claim on the warranty? He's only thinking about the position of the sensor. I don't think he intends to claim under the warranty to have the sensor put back where it's supposed to be. He could do that himself if he wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The system can be interrogated for the information, so they can tell.
Why do you think it's a joke to try and defraud a company out of a £500 battery?
You breach the terms and conditions of the warranty and try to cover it up when you inevitably burn the components out faster, then as with any tuning, you should accept financial responsibility for your actions.
Are they really £500 batteries? I can understand why people do try it on. Aren't Bosch batteries even more hiked up than most?

• Agree
Reactions: IR772

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
Why should it affect the warranty? It doesn't change the power or torque in any way...

.. and why would he want to claim on the warranty? He's only thinking about the position of the sensor. I don't think he intends to claim under the warranty to have the sensor put back where it's supposed to be. He could do that himself if he wanted.
One of the questions was would it affect the warranty, well I thought you knew that by overspeed usage you can get hot spots that degrade the cells and they will discharge more quickly.
Bosch does appear to have designed a system that gets more cycles than most, but you can't change the laws of physics

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I can't see any problem with this setup, all your are doing is adjusting the cut off speed, on a uk bike they cutt out at about 15mph but if you have a USA bike the cut off is 20mph and the bike motor and battery is the same it's just different software.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
The shop I bought my bike from said that internal components were upgraded on motors that were being sold to countries with less strict or bow speed restriction.

They had one customer that bought a bosh crank driven motor who restricted it. The motor failed within 3 weeks and Bosch refused to replace or repair.

Don't know if any of that is true, but can see what the shop would gain by talking me out of adding a dongle, or such like.

Advertisers