Riese and Muller Delite GX Rohloff running costs

djsb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2014
I'm having a look at a R & M Delite GX Rohloff on Thursday. I'm wondering what the main running costs of the bike are. In particular
1/ How often does the chain and sprockets need to be renewed?
2/ How long do the tires last?
3/ Brake pad cost and life?
4/ Cost to charge and replace the batteries and how long do they last?

If I buy one of these bikes I will mainly be using it for commuting 180 miles per week for 11 months of the year maximum (less if weather is really bad for 1 or 2 months). My route is mainly semi rural (narrow minor country roads/dirt tracks) and canal tow paths as I want to avoid traffic as much as possible. The bike will be a dual battery version (1000wh). Hope someone can help me work this out. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

The biggest cost without question will be the depreciation. All other costs are insignificant. The actual running costs will depend on how much you use it, but unless you'll use it a lot, you might experience running costs of £3 per mile or more.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some one like Eddie will give you an idea of any maintenance/issues with the Bosch drive, though do believe their are some failures out there but we don't really here of to many because of the replacement under warranty. That said the main drive/crank bearing may need replacing at some point in its life.

Tyres are dependant on brand and rubber used in construction rears tend to wear 4 or 5 times quicker then front.
Brake pads again varies on how hard you are on them. you may go 1k or 3k price wise £4 - £12 a pair ( bike needs two pair), buy in 4 or 6 pair bundles to get them a bit cheaper. I buy mine on ebay and pay about £3 a pair or wait till they are on offer from online cycle shops.
Batteries 5 - 7p for a full charge. New batteries currently £650 and life expect 500 - 1000 cycles or 5+ years is possible , with twin batteries might well be much more.
d8veh has already mentioned the biggest cost.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
5669€ / 36 months = 157.50 € a month
Divide by the number of km per month and you have your cost of depreciation per km lets be clever and say 1575 km/month = 0.10 €/km
Add running costs - rear tyre every 5 or 6000 km, brake pads depending on riding style and terrain. Chains and sprockets last a very long time with the Rohloff, very little wear and tear. Maintenance of the gear box once a year or every xxx km as per specifications. You have 1 kWh of charge that costs 0,15 € cents where I live...

Excel or Google sheets is your friend :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The OP said 180 miles a week commuting I added a few km for going to the shops...

D

Deleted member 4366

Hmmm. I think that works out at a few more than a few. Anyway, 180 miles a week x say 48 weeks x say 90% of days to cover for extreme weather = 7776 miles per year. That makes a running cost of 24p per mile.

Anyone should bear in mind that there's not that many people with the determination to use their bike in all but the most extreme weather. Many do a couple of hundred miles, then their circumstances change, and they sell their bike for 60% of what they paid. I'd be surprised if you could get £4000 for that bike a week after you wheel it out of the dealer's showroom. That's the situation when the cost is highest and it would have been cheaper to hire a Bugatti Veyron to do the miles.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Wowsers. £6840 (with Fox shock option which I would reccomend) is a lot of moolah for a bike. I knew R&M were top end but crikey.
I would second what has been said...running costs are insignificant with a bike of such high initial outlay. If you can afford it, go for it...it would be a brilliant, well designed and reliable bit of kit but you really gotta want one for what it is, rather than think of it as a cost saving exercise.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • :D
Reactions: MikelBikel

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I agree with d8 - for about the third time in two days which must be a record - running costs are not the main problem for 8,000 miles a year.

No ebike is going to be worth a lot with that sort of mileage, so the higher the purchase price, the more you will 'lose'.

A Rohloff hub makes a lot of sense for high miles, but that more or less limits you to Riese and Muller, particularly as you want twin batteries.

I would be tempted by a money no object conversion of a Rohloff push bike.

A front hub motor would make sense because you could replace it reasonably cost effectively if it wore out after a couple of years.

No twin battery, but there's now lots of choice of single batteries, and you could carry a spare.

djsb

Jun 20, 2014
Thanks for all your replies. I've placed a deposit on one now after having arranged a test ride with a Hertfordshire dealer. They let me try out about 5 different bikes with Yamaha, Bosch motors and Nuvinci,Shimano and Deraileur gears. As soon as I tried the Delite GT that they brought down it felt right.
I realise that the bike will lose value as soon as I buy it. It will still be worth it for the health benefits of getting back cycling again after a 3 year lay off.
Where I live (Hertfordshire) there are steep hills in every direction and this has been a major disincentive to doing any REGULAR cycling.
I used to cycle 60 miles per week (on a Dawes Galaxy touring bike)to/from work for 11 years before moving to my current address.
I miss the excercise and I'm gradually putting on weight.
Anyway the bike will be delivered in January and I'll let you know how I get on.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for all your replies. I've placed a deposit on one now after having arranged a test ride with a Hertfordshire dealer. They let me try out about 5 different bikes with Yamaha, Bosch motors and Nuvinci,Shimano and Deraileur gears. As soon as I tried the Delite GT that they brought down it felt right.
I realise that the bike will lose value as soon as I buy it. It will still be worth it for the health benefits of getting back cycling again after a 3 year lay off.
Where I live (Hertfordshire) there are steep hills in every direction and this has been a major disincentive to doing any REGULAR cycling.
I used to cycle 60 miles per week (on a Dawes Galaxy touring bike)to/from work for 11 years before moving to my current address.
I miss the excercise and I'm gradually putting on weight.
Anyway the bike will be delivered in January and I'll let you know how I get on.
Good stuff, I have a R&M Rohloff Charger and there's no doubt it's an excellent bike.

Lots of money, although the Rohloff and second battery add £1,500 retail.

Bearing in mind a quality full sus derailer single battery ebike could be £4,000, the Delite is not quite so ludicrously expensive as first appears.

What tyres are you getting?

My Charger came with Schwalbe Rock Razor knobblies, which are lightweight, almost downhill tyres.

Odd choice for a bike aimed at mileage on road and gravel tracks.

After a couple of punctures, and after becoming fed up of the tyres drumming on most surfaces, I changed them to Schwalbe Moto-X.

Strange to relate, Moto-X tyres are fitted as original equipment on some 2018 Chargers.

djsb

Jun 20, 2014
Good stuff, I have a R&M Rohloff Charger and there's no doubt it's an excellent bike.

Lots of money, although the Rohloff and second battery add £1,500 retail.

Bearing in mind a quality full sus derailer single battery ebike could be £4,000, the Delite is not quite so ludicrously expensive as first appears.

What tyres are you getting?

My Charger came with Schwalbe Rock Razor knobblies, which are lightweight, almost downhill tyres.

Odd choice for a bike aimed at mileage on road and gravel tracks.

After a couple of punctures, and after becoming fed up of the tyres drumming on most surfaces, I changed them to Schwalbe Moto-X.

Strange to relate, Moto-X tyres are fitted as original equipment on some 2018 Chargers.
It says on their website Rock Razor. I will be riding about a third road and two thirds canal towpath. I'll stick with these until they wear out and then try something different. I'll have a look at the Moto-x. Thanks.

Advertisers