Riese & Muller Tinker - quality of front suspension?

gumster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The Tinker is listed as having a Spinner Grind OS suspension fork. I'm too far away for it to be convenient for me to test ride before I buy. Looking online I've found many discoursing reviews about the Spinner Grind 20" suspension forks; to be fair, almost all of those reviews reference forks apparently purchased 5-10 years ago.

My envisioned use of the Tinker is going to be primarily on asphalt streets with some cobblestone areas and some light gravel tails (with the occasional sidewalk trail "off"). How bad/ good is the Tinker's fork? If it proves to be inadequate, can it be replaced by a higher quality fork (from another manufacturer), given its attachment to a folding steerer?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think that at 160 bucks this is the high end...

It has 20" big bens too you should be just fine. I started having very illegal thoughts when I saw the s-pedelec version... :cool:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It's a good bike with good front forks. They are certainly up to the task.

I have an ex Demo in Gold. I can offer it with a 25% discount. Full Warranty.

Drop me an Email if you've are interested.

David@amps.bike

All the best, David

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder why R&M didn't want to use an air fork on this £3+k bike.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

gumster

Mar 14, 2017
Portland, Oregon
He will have to charge it up part way if he's riding it home then.
The question is, will it skip over water like a thrown stone? If not, Ill have to buy locally.

Thanks all for your very helpful comments. As long as the fork used with the Tinker is not one that has been described as being intended for a "kid's bike", I consider myself as being reassured. I suspect (and hope) that R&M selected a fork designed for (140lb) adults.

David, as I live "in the colonies" as my younger son says, I'm inclined to ask a local R&M dealer to order one for me; my decision for doing that is of course influenced by my wish to have a relationship with a nearby shop that can service the bike.

Thinking about it, if need be, can the fork be replaced with an upscale brand?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I don't think that R&M would fit anything that was not of quality.
Both my R&M bikes have exceeded expectations. Have faith.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I've never tried one, not needed to as both my bikes have full suspension. But they do come highly recommended on these pages.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
So much he said it twice.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My AVE has 20" balloon tyres and a rigid fork.

The front end comfort is fine, although inevitably smaller circumference wheels will crash into deeper/wider potholes more than a big wheel bike.

The R&M fork will be reasonable quality, although I doubt there are many alternatives in 20" size.

And there's a lot to be said for a simple spring fork in terms of simplicity and reliability.

gumster

Mar 14, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Decision made: Tinker ordered. Thanks, all, for your comments; Absent an opportunity for me to try before buying, I found them helpful and reassuring.

I decided to postpone making a decision with respect to the suspension post (for other than financial reasons). I'll reconsider after receiving the bike and riding around my area. With respect to suspension posts, there appear to be several options (brands and models).

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I ordered my Delite without a trial ride as they were not imported at the time.

It was a perfect fit and has given me many miles of enjoyment (9,500) without any drama.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Tinker, keep us informed on your progress.

Advertisers