Road Trip.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
There can be no doubt that modern man is obsessed by travel. Many of us make long commutes to work, and then when it is time for a holiday, we decide to travel to some distant destination. What is is about travel that we find so appealing? Carl Jung described the road trip as a "Persistent element element of human culture." I think that it is a sort of throwback to primitive man, part of our survival mechanism, the idea that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

And yet, this travel idea is a relatively recent phenomenon. Apart from the roads we inherited from the Romans, trunk roads only really came in with the turnpike acts of the eighteenth century. Before that, we had only a network of local roads, which were poorly maintained, and often impassable during the winter months. Travel was difficult and expensive before the coming of the canals and railways, and goods that needed to be transported, were often carried by means other than roads. We had coastal shipping, and cattle were driven on the hoof from the highlands of Scotland, all the way to the London markets, taking over a month. It is a wonder there was enough meat left on them to sell.

The coming of the canal network, swiftly followed by the railways, began to change things. But for the working classes, particularly in the North, rail travel was an expensive luxury, not to be undertaken lightly. The bicycle was the thing that first changed things for the working man. Initially a toy for the well-to-do, it eventually became the personal transport of the working man. But not until after the first world war for most. I remember a story my father used to tell about going for a job on a farm in the 1920s. His friend advised him to hide his bike behind the hedge, some distance from the farm. It was said that if he arrived on a bike, the farmer would assume that he was used to a high wage, and he would not get the job.

I spent a large part of my life as a long distance lorry driver, which to an extent met my desire for travel. Owing to poor eyesight, I no longer drive. Virtually all my travelling now is by e-bike or pushbike. This has taught me a couple of things. One is that the faster we travel, the less we see. The other is that we do not know our local area as well as we think we do.

Talking of roads and travel, has anyone else noticed that hitch-hiking has become a thing of the past? Owing to the changes in society, few drivers now would give a lift to a stranger. I met some really interesting people by giving lifts. Before the coming of sleeper cabs, lorry drivers would give each other lifts. If you ran out of driving hours, and you were only forty or fifty miles from home, you would park your lorry, stand at the side of the road and hold up your log book. The first lorry to come past would stop. When I was first married, I always used to say that if I was within 100 miles, I would come home. Of course you had to be up very early the next morning to hitch-hike back to your lorry.

So for me nowadays, travel means on-yer-bike. Long may we all continue to enjoy it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that it is a sort of throwback to primitive man, part of our survival mechanism, the idea that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

And yet, this travel idea is a relatively recent phenomenon.
The first sentence relates to necessity, but I think the second sentence is more likely to point to the reasons. I think the primary reason is escapism, the subconscious desire to get away from any unsatisfactory aspects of our lives. This may explain the recent nature of this phenomenon, since modern life has become increasingly complex and stressful. Prior to the industrial revolution there was little evidence of any desire to travel, most people apparently content to live out their entire lives in the village or town of their birth.

The invention of new modes of transport undoubtedly helped with travel though, in some cases introducing the need element as well. A famous example was the exodus of 19th century postmen to far better paid City of London jobs for which their reading and writing ability suited them, this made possible by the coming of the railway making them the world's first commuters.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Talking of roads and travel, has anyone else noticed that hitch-hiking has become a thing of the past? Owing to the changes in society, few drivers now would give a lift to a stranger.

Have you notices how you cannot leave your back door open when you go out anymore.
Just a very sad reflection on our modern society.

Most are kind and genuine people but the few toe rags spoil it for all.

I have hitched a ride from a Rolls Royce driver and even a vicar in past years. I used to give all sorts of characters a lift.

Not anymore. I would not feel safe doing this now. I am only glad I was born in the 60's when people cared about people and peoples property. At least I have had a few decade of decent society.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
4 mph is our design speed; maybe up to 6 or 7mph for a steady jog. Bikes build on that, still within 'human' limitations. I lived on and travelled on canals boats for quite a while - the slower you go the more you see and the more you interact with fellow human beings.
I was born 76 years ago - we never bothered with locking doors or neighbourhood watch - it was automatic. If you were walking between towns you were offered lifts by cart or car or lorry.
My West African friends live in much the same manner today.
Neptune, thank you for your article which brought these memories back to me.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Neptune, same here - I got the travel bug out of my system by travelling too much for a living for years. Now, I prefer to stick around locally and even a trip of a hundred miles doesn't fill me with enthusiasm any more.
On the bike, even with assist, I'm going slow enough to have intercourse with people I pass (and that's quite a feat, I can tell you) on a regular basis.

Advertisers