Ryanair,incompetent or inconsiderate?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
O'Leary is considered within the airline industry a genius,he certainly considers that there is no such thing as bad publicity. These recent flight cancellations blamed on having insufficient pilots would suggest an incompetent airline but O'Leary and Ryanair are one of the most carefully controlled businesses,their operating procedures are copied by many of the smaller airlines of the world and Boeing testers describe Ryanair as the best flown and maintained of any Boeing customer.
O'Leary from KPMG was originally sent into Ryanair as a cost troubleshooter and introduce the low cost model pioneered by South West Airlines of the USA.
For me,Ryanair have filtered their winter sales and decided that they are better to cancel,reroute some flights rather than fly those routes,if you only have 10 passengers on a plane it's not cost effective to pay for the fuel and crew,most people threaten to sue but rarely bother. By blaming the pilots it suggested that it was a mistake not an intentional cost saving.
He could have got the pilots by offering double wages and pilots are very used to be moved to 'out of base' ,for me the cancellations were a Ryanair cost saving,not incompetent,very inconsiderate but that would be consistent with O'Learys business model.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he is foremost a marketing genius.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
After making my posting ,I searched whether others thought similarly. It appears that the Ryanair low cost model,now has a general buzzword 'unbundling'... Uber,Amazon,Sports Direct are all proponents of 'unbundling'....we like unbundling it gives us cheap products supplied as cheaply as possible.
Brexit will open up a whole new set of ingredients to unbundling,the only loser will be the staff of unbunderlers......new word !!!!
Ryanair may have been better to admit that these cancellations are necessary to maintain the low price model.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ryanair may have been better to admit that these cancellations are necessary to maintain the low price model.
I am sure that these cancellations did not do Ryanair any good.
Other budget airlines should learn from this and build at least 1%-2% headroom in provisioning flying crews.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I am sure that these cancellations did not do Ryanair any good.
Other budget airlines should learn from this and build at least 1%-2% headroom in provisioning flying crews.
I don't think he was short of pilots....don't forget these cancellations are spread right through the winter period....he surely could not predict he would be short of pilots for 6 months ahead,that would be incompetent.
This won't affect Ryanair,in many cases Ryanair is the only airline flying a particular route. I can see the likes of Easyjet seeing if Ryanair got away with cancelling routes and maybe the aggression from the CAA was to warn other low costs to following the same.
Like it or not,money talks,customers may say 'never flying RYR again' but people have short memories,this will all be forgotten when it comes to a cheap holiday flight next year.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: tillson and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The CAA is certainly right to threaten legal action. For far too long, budget airlines hide behind the small prints on their website to get away with bumping off customers, late flights and cancellations. If the likes of RYR are forced to book bounced customers onto regular service, they will soon stop treating customers that way.
There are also good examples of budget airlines. EJ and Flybe operate quite a few flights from Southend. Personally, I like Easyjet.
If you consider that all three opt for low cost flights, customers loyalty with EJ shows that there are limits to the attraction of 99p flights.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
We used Ryanair for a decade and apart from the stupid celebrational trumpet applauding landings thought they were marvelous. I always wondered how on earth many of his routes operated in profit. We rarely paid over £20 to fly to Girona, yes the plane was generally full but I,d guess most passengers burn more than 20 quids worth of fuel. How does that work? I did here he received grants on numbers flown into Girona...but he pulled out of there a few years ago.
He ll get through this, and come back stronger. If he can fly folk to med for £20 and make a profit he is bound to succeed.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
We used Ryanair for a decade and apart from the stupid celebrational trumpet applauding landings thought they were marvelous. I always wondered how on earth many of his routes operated in profit. We rarely paid over £20 to fly to Girona, yes the plane was generally full but I,d guess most passengers burn more than 20 quids worth of fuel. How does that work? I did here he received grants on numbers flown into Girona...but he pulled out of there a few years ago.
He ll get through this, and come back stronger. If he can fly folk to med for £20 and make a profit he is bound to succeed.
That's exactly the point, well said. I'm off to Krakow end of Oct with Ryanair (at least i hope so) paying much, much less than any of the other airlines allowing us to do these weekend breaks. I accept minimal service, as i do if i go into Lidl for the price.
If i wanted better service then i accept i have to pay for this, but usually a holiday is better than no holiday.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I’m not sure if all the passengers will have paid £20. Budget airlines use carefully planned variable pricing structures when selling tickets.

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I’m not sure if all the passengers will have paid £20. Budget airlines use carefully planned variable pricing structures when selling tickets.
Buy your ticket close to the flight date and you might pay 12 times more.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Buy your ticket close to the flight date and you might pay 12 times more.
And how many actually do ??? Besides we have often booked both long term and short ...if you watch the pricing you can nearly always get cheap flights. I don't actually think its time from flights that affects price...its the number been sold..Its more complicated than simply closer to date more expensive...makes it harder to predict but like I said over the decade we lived in France we were flying to and fro as much as 2 or 3 times a month..Most we ever paid was £40....cheapest ...a fiver...
Car storage and / or taxis have always been way more expensive.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And how many actually do ??? Besides we have often booked both long term and short ...if you watch the pricing you can nearly always get cheap flights. I don't actually think its time from flights that affects price...its the number been sold..Its more complicated than simply closer to date more expensive...makes it harder to predict but like I said over the decade we lived in France we were flying to and fro as much as 2 or 3 times a month..Most we ever paid was £40....cheapest ...a fiver...
Car storage and / or taxis have always been way more expensive.
Lots of people do and need to make travel plans bat short notice. Not everything in life can be planned months in advance. .. business , bereavement, illness of family members . Under those conditions Ryanair becomes even more expensive than national carriers. Don't take my word for it, just play about on the websites for say flights tomorrow.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Lots of people do and need to make travel plans bat short notice. Not everything in life can be planned months in advance. .. business , bereavement, illness of family members . Under those conditions Ryanair becomes even more expensive than national carriers. Don't take my word for it, just play about on the websites for say flights tomorrow.
I,m in Kos at moment so cant go tomorrow...but hows East Midlands to Carcassonne on 9th October for,£9.99 suit you...( that's 5 days notice, think you,d make the funeral)
Might even book it ...So what if you don't use it at £9.99...
Nobody books flights for tomorrow. And nobody has played about with that site more than myself and wife over last 10 years. Booking between a week and 3 months you never have to pay much. Folk who dont use Ryanair just assume you do. You don't.
If you did we,d have had to pay over £40 at some point. Reckon our average to either Girona or Carcasonne is around £15...( I,d guess we,ve flown with Ryanair at least a100 times, for 5 years I was living in France and working in UK)

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I,m in Kos at moment so cant go tomorrow...but hows East Midlands to Carcassonne on 9th October for,£9.99 suit you...( that's 5 days notice, think you,d make the funeral)
Might even book it ...So what if you don't use it at £9.99...
Nobody books flights for tomorrow.
I'd prefer that you didn't book attendance at my funeral yet. And yes people do book and fly at very short notice and they are not only businesspeople.. My daughter was in Barcelona for a week's holiday intending to come home next Saturday, but for obvious reasons took a flight this morning. , Her husband having been beaten up yesterday.

Regarding funerals, I must assume you don't know any Muslims then or Irish people. ?. The typical time from death to burial in Ireland would be 3 days. Muslim tradition is l understand a day. We would find the long delay in the UK as bizzare.

Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I'd prefer that you didn't book attendance at my funeral yet. And yes people do book and fly at very short notice and they are not only businesspeople.. My daughter was in Barcelona for a week's holiday intending to come home next Saturday, but for obvious reasons took a flight this morning. , Her husband having been beaten up yesterday.

Regarding funerals, I must assume you don't know any Muslims then or Irish people. ?. The typical time from death to burial in Ireland would be 3 days. Muslim tradition is l understand a day. We would find the long delay in the UK as bizzare.
Come on Danid...You said short notice pay x 12 price. Its on their site for £9.99 , flying in 5 days time.. Ok Muslims and Irish flying to funerals at short notice is hardly a regular occurrence is it .Wouldn't make a good business model would it...We,ve got all the short notice Irish Muslim funerals arrangements...Brilliant. Oh, and your daughter stuck in Barcelona but BTW she could take the bus from Barcelona to Carcassone ( 1 euro, really) Stay in Carcassonne and fly to East Mids for £9.99...
There is a bus service throughout Catalan ( Barca to Perp) for 1 euro...Might be a but more to get to Carcassonne but all are on train route ( TGV aswell if you like)
PS. Sorry about son in law. Barcelona can be a nightmare. We were robbed twice there. Once on street, the other in E15 service area (Took everything, cases, passports, cameras,kids computers) Its why we left area. Good luck. You are much safer over border on French side..
That area of Northern Spain feels like Yugoslavia did in late 70,s. Its getting rather a dark place. I,m really glad we are,away ..

You are failing to take into account the actual make up if seats sold on Ryanair flights. Yes in a plane of circa 250 there might be one or two last minute expensive passengers but the vast majority will be folk like myself who either have ( had) property in vicinity of destination or are going on " cheap" away days/ holidays. Both groups are able to pick and choose when to fly...as such Ryanair's business model revolves around exactly what he says. Cheap flights ...I still wonder how on earth such a model makes any profit..let alone the figures we see for Ryanair. As I mentioned earlier,I suspect many destinations pay grants for getting passengers into region..( House prices slumped when Ryanair all but pulled out of Girona , art one point it was his hub..Flights to Girona are few and far between now.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Look at Dublin London for tomorrow 115 and for two weeks away 15 , not quite 12 but close. I said short notice ... . Ryanair reckons that any one needing to fly at short notice will pay way over the odds.
I now ask of you a simple question are you always so obnoxious!.
It might be possible to find a cheaper way to travel via buses etc, but not as sensible when you have just been beaten up and are , as is now becoming possible being a tourist in a war zone.
Previous text written before I noticed your edits.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I reckon that if duty and taxes were leavied on ifuel used in internal European flights, as is I believe the case on road, rail and sea traffic, then the low cost carriers, including Ryanair would take a huge hit . It is no secret that Ryanair would have sought and got hello money from the regional councils of the regional airports they fly into.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
"now ask of you a simple question are you always so obnoxious!."

Apologies Danidl...it wasn't intended. My post reads quite abrupt...

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
"now ask of you a simple question are you always so obnoxious!."

Apologies Danidl...it wasn't intended. My post reads quite abrupt...
Fully accepted, . We were as a family very concerned for them, anyway they flew back to London and I didn't and will not ask what it cost in money terms.

Advertisers