S810 controller settings

AndyHunt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2021
Hi all,
I am building a scratch ebike, but this is all new to me, so I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge.
I'm trying to set up an S810 controller, and I have had the hub motor turning in the correct direction with the self learning wires connected,
But so far I can't get it to work off the PAS or throttle.
Setting function P07 is for number of magnets and I'm not really sure on this one, also P05 power assisted throttle. Instructions settings are for 3, 5, or 9 gear mode, but I can't see how you set that on the controller?
Any help much appreciated.

AndyHunt

Feb 2, 2021
Update, I now have controller showing speed, but power is not coming in.
I assume that as I am getting a speed reading that the PAS is working?

AndyHunt

Feb 2, 2021
Further update, throttle connected, when used I can hear a spinning noise which increases if I up the assistance and display shows increasing speed even though wheel isn't turning?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Further update, throttle connected, when used I can hear a spinning noise which increases if I up the assistance and display shows increasing speed even though wheel isn't turning?
It's going backwards. You need to do the self-learning procedure. After you have the right direction, you must disconnect the self-learning wires.

AndyHunt

Feb 2, 2021
It's going backwards. You need to do the self-learning procedure. After you have the right direction, you must disconnect the self-learning wires.
Thanks for reply, I did connect the self-learning wires, and the wheel span in the correct direction.
However, when disconnected I just get the sound and speed reading but no motor action.
Is there a specific process when using the self-learning procedure?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Switch off, connect the wires, switch on and wait for the wheel to start turning slowly on its own. Switch off, disconnect the wires and leave them disconnected. Each time you do the procedure, it should swap direction. For some controllers you need to kickstart the self-learning with the throttle.

AndyHunt

Feb 2, 2021
Just tried again as above advice, I am getting noise and speed reading, but wheel isn't starting to turn?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just tried again as above advice, I am getting noise and speed reading, but wheel isn't starting to turn?
Grab the wheel and turn it in each direction. It should be totally free in the forward direction, and when you turn it backwards, you should feel the gears inside the motor turning. If it's free in both directions, your clutch is stuck, but if you can feel the gears, your controller is turning the motor backwards.

Of course, if the motor still turns forward during the self-learning procedure, the clutch can't be stuck.

Last edited:

AndyHunt

Feb 2, 2021
Well, came back to it this morning and repeated the learning procedure and it looked like I would have the same result, then for no real reason I twisted the throttle and the wheel started to turn.
I left it turning for a couple of minutes, switched it off, unplugged the self-learning line and it now appears to be working.
The assistance seems a bit all or nothing, so that's the next hurdle to overcome, but at least things are progressing.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Well, came back to it this morning and repeated the learning procedure and it looked like I would have the same result, then for no real reason I twisted the throttle and the wheel started to turn.
I left it turning for a couple of minutes, switched it off, unplugged the self-learning line and it now appears to be working.
The assistance seems a bit all or nothing, so that's the next hurdle to overcome, but at least things are progressing.
If it's the same as the S830, P12 is the parameter that adjusts the start up power. Try setting it to a lower value.

Do you have the manual for the settings? How have you set the PAS and throttle so far?

AndyHunt

Feb 2, 2021
I do have the Chinglish manual that came with it that I'm trying to work with.
I think it's probably set to hard start, so I'll change that to the soft setting.
The speedometer is very optimistic, I've put in the correct number of PAS magnets (5) so not sure how to get it to show the proper speed?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The number of PAS magnets has nothing to do with speed. You have to set the number of magnets in the speed sensor, which is normally 1 and sometimes 6.. If the speed's 20% low, set it to 6. If it's 5 times the speed, set it to 1.

AndyHunt

Feb 2, 2021
Nearly there, controller is a S866 but instructions say S810.
I'm still having no luck with the speedometer.
I've tried the 1 & 6 settings, but get a reading of 62mph on both?
Other settings are:
P01 - 1
P02 - 1
P03 - 36
P04 - 15
P05 - 0 (not sure how this setting function works)
P06 - 26
P07 - ?
P08 - 100
P09 - 0
P10 - 2
P11 - 2
P12 - 5
P13 - 5
P14 - 22 (not touched this one)
P15 - 30.8
P16 - n/a
P17 - 0
P18 - 50 (altered trying to set speedometer)
P19 - 0
P20 - n/a

Bike seems to be functionally ok except for speedometer reading, and this obviously is tied into the P07 number which at present is eluding me.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
P07 is the number of magnets in the speed sensor, which would normally be 1 or 6 if it has the white wire in the motor connector and the white wire is connected to a speed sensor. If one of those conditions are false, it will then use the normal motor magnets for a speed signal; however, if you have a geared motor with a clutch, the motor disengages when you freewheel, so the speed drops to zero under that condition.

I'm going to guess that the controller is not using the speed sensor and it's getting the speed signal from the motor magnets, and your LCD has a maximum indication of 63 mph. Try starting with 20 for P07, then adjusting up or down in proportion to the error u tel the reading is correct.

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
now I have a white wire and I have set my numbers in p07 46 too fast reading on display 86-90-100-150 all reading too fast on display I've even done 255 and I'm still 12km too fast compared to my GPSany ideas oh my wheel size is set at 21 inch

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Yes I understand where your coming from ,only with the original 36v 15ah controler that came with the bike I the settings p07 is set to 1 and wheel size is 20in PAS magnets I have 12 .
So I'm baffled that with these other controllers don't do the same as the original.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
And by speed sensor do you mean the black disc attached to my pedal with 12 magnets and a sensor with a little red light .

www.topbikekit.com/kt-king-speed-sensor-for-ebike-p-256.html

Or cut the sensor off one of these, which is cheaper and one less wire to join:

Advertisers