Sad News.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Legendary British bike designer and innovator Mike Burrows passed away yesterday 15.08.22 R.I.P Mike.

Famous for his colaboration with Lotus to design the sleek 108 carbon bike that won Gold for Chris Boardman and many other fabulous bike innovations that few or no one took onboard. Mike did work with Giant for many years and his Compact TCR road bike design was taken on and built in numbers and became a game changer.
He was mostly well known for his BHPC racing and involvement with his rat catcher design and the design of the Wind Cheetah bent trike.
The 8 Freight being the best bike in his words he built for sheer usability.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

Sedentix

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 18, 2022
I have a "Giant Halfway" folder. Single sided 20" wheels. It's my second one of these and, Bad Health, it's virtually unused! I like it, based on Mike's ideas.
I also had, and Sorely miss, a Cannondale Hooligan with the single sided wheels.
Mike could be a Rude Sod at times, but he did good things, and stuck by his values.
R I P.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Nealh and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The halfway has the hallmarks of Mikes input when he was employed as a design engineer for them, though why they didn't go with his earlier 2D design for simplicity.
Slim frame design.
Leftyfork.
Single sided hubs/axles.

Mike I believe wasn't estatic by the over heavy engineered finsihed bike so it was never a light weight bike.

The sturmey QR drum brakes never used .

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Although Vespa had long before used single sided hubs, Mike was the first to use them in bicycle design and cannondale pinched the idea.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have to correct myself as the 2D designed bike didn't occur until after Mike left Giant's.
I missed out on a pair of near unused Halfways this week gone, but the door is still ajar to rekindle the sale hopefully at a later stage.

I have been looking for a few years to acquire a Burrows influenced designed bike but as yet have failed, the Halfway is an easier bike to acquire then an 8 freight.

Advertisers