Santana 3 - LCD says all okay, motor dead.

RoRo

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2016
I've sent an e-mail to Hattie, but because I am anxious about it (very untechnical!), I am wondering if this is a familiar problem that might have an easy fix, if there is someone local who could do it. The bike is just under 6 months old and has been great until today.
To clarify, I was happily riding along as normal and the motor stopped working, although the LCD suggested everything was fine - battery full, mileage being recorded, etc.
Cheers!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Push the motor connector all the way in. It's about 12 inches from the motor, under the frame on the right side..

Reactions: RoRo

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brake cut off lever not sitting back in it's correct position or pedal sensor/mag disc not aligned correctly or gap is too great.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
General steps to fault finding:

1. Can you still switch the bike on and off?

2. Does the LCD show any error?

3. After switching on the LCD, press and hold the - (minus) button for 3 seconds to enter walk mode. Does the bike move forward?

4. Can you check that the motor connector is fully pushed in like in this picture:

RoRo

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2016
General steps to fault finding:

1. Can you still switch the bike on and off?

2. Does the LCD show any error?

3. After switching on the LCD, press and hold the - (minus) button for 3 seconds to enter walk mode. Does the bike move forward?

4. Can you check that the motor connector is fully pushed in like in this picture:

Thank you, Woosh! This is so excruciatingly embarrassing, being so clueless, but I guess I am learning... hopefully. I became pretty sure that the issue was with the front brake, the lever had been a bit loose recently, though I managed to adjust that okay, but yesterday I also spotted a bit of grass stuck behind the red wheel-thing on the brake mechanism, which didn't all come out when I tried to remove it (but left nothing to pull on) so I have just tried to loosen it but am very nervous of making things worse. In fact I also loosened the connector at the lever end that had been loose before, resulting in a disturbing twang when I tried the lever. I know I need to disconnect the cables that come from the lever end, but not having done it before I am now even more nervous of making things worse. Do you just have to pull on them? Is there a technique or do you just need strong hands? To answer you questions: The bike switches on and off as usual. The LCD display is normal with no error message. Holding the minus down results in it changing to 'push' mode. I am not sure what you mean by does it move forward. I rode it home after it stopped working yesterday. It behaves normally except the motor is off all the time. I have checked the motor connector as pictured and strongly suspect the grass that got stuck behind the red wheel thing is the problem. I just need to know if there is a technique to disconnecting the cables.... I am truly sorry to be so inept! Thanks for your help.

RoRo

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you, Woosh! This is so excruciatingly embarrassing, being so clueless, but I guess I am learning... hopefully. I became pretty sure that the issue was with the front brake, the lever had been a bit loose recently, though I managed to adjust that okay, but yesterday I also spotted a bit of grass stuck behind the red wheel-thing on the brake mechanism, which didn't all come out when I tried to remove it (but left nothing to pull on) so I have just tried to loosen it but am very nervous of making things worse. In fact I also loosened the connector at the lever end that had been loose before, resulting in a disturbing twang when I tried the lever. I know I need to disconnect the cables that come from the lever end, but not having done it before I am now even more nervous of making things worse. Do you just have to pull on them? Is there a technique or do you just need strong hands? To answer you questions: The bike switches on and off as usual. The LCD display is normal with no error message. Holding the minus down results in it changing to 'push' mode. I am not sure what you mean by does it move forward. I rode it home after it stopped working yesterday. It behaves normally except the motor is off all the time. I have checked the motor connector as pictured and strongly suspect the grass that got stuck behind the red wheel thing is the problem. I just need to know if there is a technique to disconnecting the cables.... I am truly sorry to be so inept! Thanks for your help.
Update - managed to disconnect brake power cables, still no motor action.... :(

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
does the motor spin up when you press and hold the - (minus) button for 3 seconds?
if it does not spin up, check the motor plug next.

RoRo

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2016
No it doesn't do anything in push mode either (with minus button held down). I have checked the motor plug, too, I think, as best I can.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We have exhausted all the easy steps.
I will talk to Andy in the morning, he is having today off.
He'll help you to sort it out.

RoRo

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2016
Are you guys okay? After an e-maill from Andy on 29th Sept suggesting I disconnect the electrical leads from the brakes, which I replied to, and send a reminder about my reply on 2nd Oct, I still haven't heard back. I also never got a reply from Hattie when I initially wrote on 27th Sept asking if there was anyone local to me who could have a look at it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have reminded Andy.
He'll get back to you as soon as.

RoRo

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2016
I have reminded Andy.
He'll get back to you as soon as.
Could you remind him again please? I got back to him about the last checks late on Friday afternoon and am still waiting for a reply. Its a long time to go without my wheels, which I rely on.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi RoRo,

I am really sorry about this. Reminder sent.
Andy will get in contact with you today.

Best regards

Tony

RoRo

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2016
Hi RoRo,

I am really sorry about this. Reminder sent.
Andy will get in contact with you today.

Best regards

Tony
Belated thanks very much for that, Tony.
He asked if I was up for trying to fit a new controller, which I was, and did, and the bike is working again now. I am left wondering though, what the guarantee on the controller is - given that the old one was only 6 months old when it died. Will I get a year's warranty on the new one?
Best wishes
RoRo

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Please don't worry about the guarantee.
Any replacement under guarantee is fully guaranteed.
Best regards
Tony

Advertisers