Sanyo NCR18650GA vs Samsung 18650 Cells

Dizer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2019
I'm searching for a nice 52v battery for my ebike and i'm trying to decide which of the 2 below batteries is the best buy.

The price difference between the batteries is 100 euro (€ 392 vs € 492). They have the same voltage and Ah spec.

The other difference are the cells. the cheapest battery has the Samsung Cell and the other battery the Sanyo Cells.
I couldn't find reviews about the Samsung cells, the Sanyo cells are well rated.

Now i'm wondering if the Sanyo Cells are really that much better than the Samsung cells. Can someone advise me with this decision?

Sanyo NCR18650GA 3.7V 3450mAh 10A 3C Cells

Samsung 18650 3.7V 3500mAh Cells

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I would make my choice based on the max. output of my controller. not much to choose between the GA and 35E, the GA fairs a little better at higher load. Anything over 30 amps, i would go with the GA's.

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
Samsung 35E top amperes 8A continuous. I’ve recent bought a couple hundred 35Es, although yet to fully evaluate them.

A good reliable source.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The choice is dependant on your pocket , though generally the GA has the edge above 1a per cell.

Using the drop downs in the link below you can select both cells to compar.
At below 1a per cell the 35E is slightly better but baove this the GA gives more mah also notice how the pair of 35E's differ in performance.

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

If you select the 10a graph you will see why the Samsung is not for high draw.

The GA is the top 10a rated 18650 it is even better then the MJ1 but not by much.

When choosing a cell of eqalI rating I don't worry about which has more mah then another as typically in E bike use cells aren't deep discharged down to 2.5 - 2.8v. Instead look at the mah rating down to about 3.3v and when comparing use the graphs at 2,3 & 5a to see how voltage sag affects cells.

Last edited:

Dizer

Feb 7, 2019
Thanks, so on the 2,3 and 5a the Samsung and the Sanyo's are quite close, the difference starts at 10a.

Now i'm trying to understand what it means. When is it important to have a straight curve at 10a?

In case it depends on the controller, for everything under the 30a, the Samsungs are ok, else pick the Sanyo's?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The battery packs you are looking at have 5 parallel cells, so the current draw is shared between them, so at 20 amp draw, each cell supplies 4 amps, 20/5 = 4 amps. At 40amps, 40/5 = 8 amps. At 8 amps you are working even the GA's quite hard, but the only way to avoid this is to add more parallel cells to share the load and this is only really possible with a custom built triangle shaped frame pack. If you look at the graph at 5 amps, you will see the initial voltage drop between the two start to increase and at 7 and 10 amps it's even wider. Ideally, you want your battery voltage to stay as high as possible as it discharges. What motor/controller are you planning for your build?

Dizer

Feb 7, 2019
Thanks, that is helpfull.

I'm planning to buy the TSDZ2 or the BBSHD motor.

TSDZ2 Controller = 18A max
18A/5 = 3.6A

BBSHD Controller = 30A max
30A/5= 6A

Based on the specs, I probably wouldn't notice a significant difference with using the Samsung Cells for the TSDZ2 motor? But probably i will do for the BBSDH motor?

Hence, would that mean that with the BBSDH motor the Samsung cells would drain faster than the Sanyo Cells, but with the TSDZ2 it is almost the same?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hence, would that mean that with the BBSDH motor the Samsung cells would drain faster than the Sanyo Cells, but with the TSDZ2 it is almost the same?
Yeah, both would be fine with the TSDZ2, but i would chose the GA's for the HD. Asking less of the cells also helps to prolong their life, so with the HD motor, the GA's will be working at just over half their max. output, whereas the 35E's would be close to max, and so more stressed.

Dizer

Feb 7, 2019
Thanks! Will the 35E Samsung cells also drain faster with a TSDZ2 motor? Will i notice that my battery level will drain faster than with GA cells?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Will the 35E Samsung cells also drain faster with a TSDZ2 motor?
It's very close, it will depend how you ride I think. As Neal said, anything over 1 amp, or in the case of your pack, 5 amp draw, the GA's have the advantage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
At 3a and above the GA holds slightly higher voltage so will have a little more pep to it. If planning on using the full 18a of the TSDZ opt for the GA for less sag or use more cells in parallel.

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
NB.these opinions aren’t based on longevity nor price. Battery selection is mostly at the top end of the market a flip of a coin.

One factor is certain the bigger the Ah, the higher the voltage, the less demand for those higher amps per individual cell, the lower the voltage draw demanded the better for those cells longevity.

Take note that LG MJ1 are specific about a rest period between discharge and charge. The higher Ah capacity for a 35E, can out perform long term the higher Ah capacity from a 30Q, dependence upon ampere draw when riding.

GA, once beyond their service use (various ways to get there fast) are nortious heaters. But, again depends on the demands made while in service.

Stipulate your demands, and search out cells within your designated parameters. I.E. If you don’t want to wait 15 minutes between discharge and charge then one particular brand of cell isn’t for you.

Advertisers