SD Card Anonmoly

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I seem to have acquired a problem with my bike cam in that the card fills up too quickly. On my PC it shows as empty but for the configuration folders with 59GB available (64gb Micro SD card) but when in the camera it shows 27.5 GB available.
What am I missing?

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Is this a card that you know for a fact that held 60+gb previously?

I only ask because counterfeit cards will nearly always show the stated capacity when inserted, but never do actually hold that much and what memory you can actually use is often corrupted. The only way to know for sure what a card is doing is to run it through something like h2testw (which is a simple free app and works great).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bike cam prob only supports 32gb thus why half of it is missing.

the new go pros can do 128gb

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you use it a lot then they dont last that long esp if you leave them full like ssd drives they have limited read and right cycles.

i have thrown 100s of them in the bin over the years via usb sticks as even a sharp knock can cause damage to them.

or they just got corrupted being over used over time large video files dont help either esp on cheap sd cards.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
if you use it a lot then they dont last that long esp if you leave them full like ssd drives they have limited read and right cycles.

i have thrown 100s of them in the bin over the years via usb sticks as even a sharp knock can cause damage to them.

or they just got corrupted being over used over time large video files dont help either esp on cheap sd cards.
Running a test now. it says testing 60gb in 35 mins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was looking for a really good clip. I was chasing a young fit mtb'er up a hill and as I was gaining he kept looking behind and was out of the saddle pedaling like a maniac trying to stay in front.. When I finally passed him he good naturedly said .. Wow I need need one of those... Unfortunately it had been overwritten which surprised me.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: oyster

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
how much space is there and if any of it has been corrupted depending what you are using.

https://support.cycliq.com/support/solutions/articles/13000022496-microsd-card-considerations
Yes I read that.. I already had 2 x Sandisk 64gb Ultras and I have 2 x Sandisk extremes as well and they all work absolutely fine in the 6 and the 12. None of them seem to have have any write speed issues and non of the vids are corrupted or have bits missing. I think I am scanning the ultra, and will do the extreme next.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if you got 2 different sd cards and both scan ok it must be a problem with the camera sd slot as not much else it could be tbh.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
well if you got 2 different sd cards and both scan ok it must be a problem with the camera sd slot as not much else it could be tbh.
Hopefully not..I have had a buzzing issue on playback, but it was a software bug in the cycliq app. It may be me worrying about things that are not there, or even suffering with calculator syndrome! I have deleted all the files now and cant remember how many were there and as each 5 min clip is 1.1GB they soon add up.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Finished the test on the ultra and its got 60gb and no errors write speed was 28.7 MByte/s and took 35 mins to fill. The extreme is in now also showing 60gb but its so much faster at 66 MByte/s with only 15 mins to fill. When I have used slow cards in my DSLR it just fills the buffer quicker and shoots slower and on HD video it simply stops recording, so I cant see how using a slow card can make it hide space..
Both cards have no errors and are not fakes. Interesting tool that so thanks SW..

Advertisers