Server move

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Yesterday and today I found longer threads, Nealh Yosepower hub kits and my very long ongoing review of my Haibike Yamaha would not load for me, and loading has never been a problem before. Going onto my own profile and trying to load a selection of my posts would not work.
Hi Georgehenry, I clicked on your Haibike thread and it took a long time to load, but it did eventually. I will raise a ticket with the hosting company and see what's going on.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wasn't able to upload any thread using my w10 lap top with edge, also wouldn't load using firefox. Like wise I gave up, still having some issues this morning here.
Very slow and threads seem to be held up in a black hole.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As I speculated in posts #11 and #9, not enough CPU and RAM have been assigned to this website's new hosting - threads which feature images in particular, seem to take a lot of time to load.

... or perhaps this website is actively being attacked by hackers (certain CMSs are targeted over overs), in an effort to cause it's database to crash, to exploit vulnerabilities.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
As I speculated in posts #11 and #9, not enough CPU and RAM have been assigned to this website's new hosting - threads which feature images in particular, seem to take a lot of time to load.

... or perhaps this website is actively being attacked by hackers (certain CMSs are targeted over overs), in an effort to cause it's database to crash, to exploit vulnerabilities.
The server spec is the same as before. The hosting company moved away from Plesk onto their own management platform.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The server spec is the same as before. The hosting company moved away from Plesk onto their own management platform.
I stick to Plesk and cPanel, despite their increasing pricing - they nearly always operate better than home grown solutions and when you want to leave, migration is much easier. It's easy to get locked in with custom management platforms.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well, whatever is causing site slowdown must be fixed ASAP - if users are having issues, robots will be too, which means fewer pages crawled and less visitors via search engines due to the resulting lower rankings.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It could be too early to say, but things are spritely again - site cache cleared?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Maybe it's because lots of people have given up, but it now feels to me not just repaired from yesterday's complete mess to being faster than I've ever seen it (before or after the move).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe it's because lots of people have given up
Visitors have increased:

If a slowdown happens again and often, I'd deffo look into changing hosts - advertisers won't want to pay as much if the ad framework can't load, to load their ads.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sjpt

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It could be too early to say, but things are spritely again - site cache cleared?
It may have been a routing problem that was cleared. Datacenters have a lot of systems to stop DDoS. Once triggered, it takes a bit of time to reset.

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some one must have given the server a good spanking as even pics are loading up quite well tonight and all threads are loading as well.
When Matt was doing his trailer tour write ups , I had a devil of a time seeing his pics as they simply were taking a millenium to load . I may have to revist them now to see all the pics.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Having made websites since 1991, it's habitual for me to resize my images to 800 or 1024 pixels (which feels widly extravagant) wide max and far smaller than 500K for internet transmission (also wildly extravagant - of course in the early days of dialup, 10k was a bit big), but from a usability point of view, it's good that users of this forum can upload larger and more detailed images than actually needed - newbies in particular (users most likely to need advice) may not know how to resize images for upload, if there was an Endless Sphere-like resolution or memory size restriction in place. Resize by Content Management System, can be asking more of it and hosting server than strictly necessary - hosting companies have complained to me about this at length sometimes, shortly before I migrated to a hosting company providing more generous CPU + RAM resourced product, at the same or lower price.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Datacenters have a lot of systems to stop DDoS. Once triggered, it takes a bit of time to reset.
A bad Korea move? Too much Russian around? Hosting companies provide multiple ransomware or ransomware delivery mechanism targets to exploit, all in one convenient location. I get emailed oodles of virus addled documents constantly. It surprises me users are allowed to upload PDFs here - I avoid PDFs like the plague.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
drive could have failed and is rebuilding the file system on a new hdd in a raid array
They're always up to something, and the first we'd know about it, is when some upgrade/move/update/other breaks something else. They can't blame it on Plesk.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I'm a long way from being able to do everything on my phone! Image resizing being one example. When I crushed my old G7 and upgraded to G30 I had even more pixels to worry about.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm a long way from being able to do everything on my phone! Image resizing being one example. When I crushed my old G7 and upgraded to G30 I had even more pixels to worry about.
I take a screenshot while viewing the photo full-screen, which reduces size significantly for easy emailing - saves installing yet another data-thieving app.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Gosh what happened?

Reactions: Nealh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• :D
Reactions: guerney

Advertisers