Server move

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Pointing the finger at bad actors unknown, is a normal mode of operation for hosting companies - it's never their fault. Are the disruptions happening since the server move a coincidence? Personally, I'd try just changing server first, in case the new in-house hosting management software is the root cause... because it's a cheap option to try, before going full-on redevelopment. And if simply moving server solves the problems, you'll be on a new server, which sounds part of the plan anyway.

The more numerous platforms tend to be targets, which is why I never use them. Of course on the other hand, bespoke develpment from scratch is very expensive, and could take years to become as good.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Pointing the finger at bad actors unknown, is a normal mode of operation for hosting companies
we don't have access to their logs so we don't know. I did a quick check yesterday and did not find anything. All the usual patches are present, except Lucky13.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Pointing the finger at bad actors unknown, is a normal mode of operation for hosting companies - it's never their fault. Are the disruptions happening since the server move a coincidence? Personally, I'd try just changing server first, in case the new in-house hosting management software is the root cause... because it's a cheap option to try, before going full-on redevelopment. And if simply moving server solves the problems, you'll be on a new server, which sounds part of the plan anyway.

The more numerous platforms tend to be targets, which is why I never use them. Of course on the other hand, bespoke develpment from scratch is very expensive, and could take years to become as good.
Too much of a coincidence....

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If they're going to use you as beta testers, they should pay for the privilege. (Help! We're trapped in a lab cage!)(Some of us have more rights than rodents)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If they're going to use you as beta testers, they should pay for the privilege. (Help! We're trapped in a lab cage!)(Some of us have more rights than rodents)
I don't have recently any problem accessing the site.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006

There were some issues related to the move but those have been resolved. We do give the site a refresh every few years, one was in the works anyway.
The main objective moving forward is to reduce the dependency on a number of pieces of sofware plus some bespoke work that we had to rely on outside developers to update/maintain.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I know a ex-SAS whitehat penetration tester who makes big bucks popping a CD/DVD into machines on networks, or attaching thumbdrives containing his own special build, and it goes merrily hacking away automatically, produces a huge report at the end. Most scanning and hacking on the internet is automatic, and I'm wondering if an alternative set of techniques are being deployed, because you're now on an unrecognised and unusual server? Small development teams don't close doors as thoroughly.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I know a ex-SAS whitehat penetration tester who makes big bucks popping a CD/DVD into machines on networks, or attaching thumbdrives containing his own special build, and it goes merrily hacking away automatically, produces a huge report at the end.
I would be more impressed if the guy parks his car outside the office and produces a report from scanning the wifi rather than having access to an ethernet socket.
Apparently, would be spies have been caught doing just that.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I would be more impressed if the guy parks his car outside the office and produces a report from scanning the wifi rather than having access to an ethernet socket.
Apparently, would be spies have been caught doing just that.
He gets up to all sorts for big ticket clients. I avoid asking tbh, and have made certain he only has my landline number. :eek:

He's cooked up his own OS which hacks back.

Last edited:

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just now:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Something is going t*itsup again:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
....and we're back.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

needs more power :p should have had a turbo button :rolleyes:

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i think Pedelecs needs an Electric Car side to it.
Although I don’t contribute much these days, I still like to look in. It’s a good place to find balanced & non-biased information.
Also an electric motorbike section - @AGS is converting a Puch Maxi.

Advertisers