Shimano steps w013 error message

'chantal'

Just Joined
Dec 15, 2017
Canada
hi there,

New owners of a shimano step e8000 bike. Just had it for a few days...first ride was all golden. Second ride, the motor worked but it would,cut out while I was pedalling ....I know it is torque sensing, but I was in boost mode going slightly uphill so it wasn't as if there was no resistance ...and I was only going 11kmh ..
Then today. I had an error message w013 and the motor would come on at all...display works and I can shift between the modes but no assist - cadence meter works fine too. Tried turning on and off etc but nothing leaped. Drove the bike to the shop and took the bike off the rack and voila, all was fine ? But then back on the trail, my partners bike had exactly the same issue

Looks to be a problem with the torque sensor ? Anybody else have had any issues with the torque sensor? Does it have something to do with the calibration ? Could it be related to turning the system on with a foot on the pedal ?...although we did try again, Moto on and off etc , one the bike off the bike..no luck....drove to the shop....bike works fine again....it's a mystery but it feels like it's something we do....does the torque sensor perform some sort of calibration when the battery powers on ? ....

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
W013 initialisation of torque sensor, you shouldn't touch or rotate the cranks during switch on. Torque systems appear to require a few seconds to calibrate at all times during start up. Best option is to switch on do your laces up ( as to speak) then ride the bike.
No difference to the cheaper TSDZ torque systems they need a few secs to calibrate themselves.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nefarious

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
OMG This just happened to me too - 2nd day out. I'd have been completely stranded if it hadn't been for my phone and the forum!!

Are there any other Shimano Steps error codes I should be watching out for??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Read the manual !!!
Page 30+ for E6000.
Page 50+ for E8000.
There is one for motor temp to high W010.

Reactions: Nefarious

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Yeah yeah, I browsed the manual of course, but knowing which ones are more likely or more critical is great.

In exciting developments last night, I managed to get the bike connected via Bluetooth to my iPad and updated 2 of 3 firmware components! Go me!!

Onegirlandherbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
Got my new bike on 7 December 2019 and today wondered why I was struggling a bit cycling along the road then noticed the warning and error code WO13. Switched off then back on and seems to be OK now.

I've not bluetoothed my phone to the bike yet - what's the benefits in updating the firmware components (I'm not very computer/gadget savvy so don't even know what a firmware component is!!).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Got my new bike on 7 December 2019 and today wondered why I was struggling a bit cycling along the road then noticed the warning and error code WO13. Switched off then back on and seems to be OK now.

I've not bluetoothed my phone to the bike yet - what's the benefits in updating the firmware components (I'm not very computer/gadget savvy so don't even know what a firmware component is!!).
Have a look at my answer in #2.
If the issue arose after the process and whilst/during riding then it would be prudent to visit your dealer for a check.

Onegirlandherbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
Thanks for your reply.

I think what happened was that my friend had his daughter sitting on my bike while we were talking and she had her feet on the pedals and the then switched the bike on. I heard a couple of beeps but thought it was his phone, on reflection it was probably warning me of what had happened. Not realising this, I rode away and it was only when I thought it felt like there was no assistance that I noticed the warning/error code so stopped, switched it off and on and all seems good now. Hopefully it'll not happen again but just in case I emailed a photo of the computer showing the error to the dealer I got the bike from.

Advertisers