Should the over 70's be banned from driving?

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
over the past 22 years I have had cause to deal with many elderly drivers. The issue is the realisation that they are not fit to drive , ie eyesight, reaction time and/or spatial awareness . I appreciate that admitting that your old and knackered can be a life changing episode but the driver must always ask them selves " should I be driving if I have doubts as to m ability?"
I am all for retesting and more stringent medicals . The decision of fitness should not be left to an individual's GP - it should be for the a DVLA medical assessment as far too often the driver / patient will have formed a type of bond with their family doctor and this can cause issues of the Doctor questions the drivers fitness.

I am speaking professional here and as previously stated - I have 22 years experience of driver legislation

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I, like many others, do have issues that affect my driving. I have always been of the opinion that when driving the feeling of control is illusory and the worst driver of all is one that thinks they are perfect....
But... if I were told I had to stop driving.. this would be devastating on so many levels... it's hard to imagine how life would continue, but of course it would and I would adjust, but I can see why people continue driving when past their sell by date..
What do you mean you are taking my trailer away and I can't ride my pedelec to the supermarket? Is there another way to go shopping? What are these "cars" of which you speak?

I have been car free for almost 3 years. OK I cheat the young SWMBO has a car I can borrow but do you know what, I don't enjoy it. I would love to have a very fast sports car but where can you enjoy that other than on a track? I loved the 70s (yes last century) when a car was a car and mine was a Lancia Fulvia Coupé and I drove it to Norway, and back...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What do you mean you are taking my trailer away and I can't ride my pedelec to the supermarket? Is there another way to go shopping? What are these "cars" of which you speak?

I have been car free for almost 3 years. OK I cheat the young SWMBO has a car I can borrow but do you know what, I don't enjoy it. I would love to have a very fast sports car but where can you enjoy that other than on a track? I loved the 70s (yes last century) when a car was a car and mine was a Lancia Fulvia Coupé and I drove it to Norway, and back...
Well, that's one alternative.. but if I left such a thing outside asda I am fairly sure it won't be there when I come out..

Advertisers