Size of nuts on rear wheel - Freego Eagle?

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
My bike is new, and I was just checking nuts for tightness. I was using the toolkit that came with the bike, but nothing seems to fit the rear wheel nuts. The 18mm is too big, and the other end of the spanner, 16mm, was way too small. So I got a 17mm from my main kit, and it was still a fraction too small.

An non-metric 11/16 ring spanner I happened to have seemed to be very close, but would have to be tapped on.

Just wondering exactly what I should be using (other than an adjustable wrench :) )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are 18mm. That corresponds to about a half-millimetre over that 11/16" spanner, which almost matches your experience with that one.

Therefore I'd say your 18mm spanner may be suspect, possibly stretched, or the nuts are made to poor tolerances and are fractionally undersized.

This link on my website may give you a solution.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I agree with Flecc based on a similar dilemma recently. In the end, I actually purchased a new open end/ring spanner of 186 mm overall length so that it would fit inside my small seat post bag. Buying single tools is a really expensive business but after much searching, I found exactly what I wanted and decided to bite the bullet and pay up!

There are stubby spanner sets out there but something around 90-110 mm long might require extra purchase which is fine at home but could be problematic out in the sticks.

Tom

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
If all else fails you could perhaps file a tight spanner down a little and keep it just for the bike.
Dave.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
They are 18mm. That corresponds to about a half-millimetre over that 11/16" spanner, which almost matches your experience with that one.

Therefore I'd say your 18mm spanner may be suspect, possibly stretched, or the nuts are made to poor tolerances and are fractionally undersized.

This link on my website may give you a solution.
Thanks for that. Yes, I have no other 18mm spanners to compare, so maybe it is weird. I am sure I'll have an old 11/16 that can be modified as your link suggests.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
If all else fails you could perhaps file a tight spanner down a little and keep it just for the bike.
Dave.
Yes, that is a trick I just picked up from flecc's site. Best way to go I expect.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
I agree with Flecc based on a similar dilemma recently. In the end, I actually purchased a new open end/ring spanner of 186 mm overall length so that it would fit inside my small seat post bag. Buying single tools is a really expensive business but after much searching, I found exactly what I wanted and decided to bite the bullet and pay up!

There are stubby spanner sets out there but something around 90-110 mm long might require extra purchase which is fine at home but could be problematic out in the sticks.

Tom
Thanks Tom. Yes, I don't want it too short, then not have the strength to undo a tight nut.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Thanks Tom. Yes, I don't want it too short, then not have the strength to undo a tight nut.
If torque is a problem with short spanners, you can extend the handle by slipping a piece of pipe over the end of the spanner (maybe difficult with a double ended spanner, but not impossible). You could carry the piece of pipe in your toolkit with your short spanners.:) Don't forget to include a piece of rope and a candelabra:D (Just in case you don't have a cluedo)

Reactions: smee

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If torque is a problem with short spanners
- - - - - you can also use a heel stamped onto the short end to multiply the force, the time honoured method with car wheel braces to release grime-locked nuts.

Reactions: smee

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
- - - - - you can also use a heel stamped onto the short end to multiply the force, the time honoured method with car wheel braces to release grime-locked nuts.
....or, as my old boss, a man from MacDuff, (which is about halfway from London to Reykjavic I believe,) used to say whenever I had trouble removing seized king pins or shackle pins from heavy goods vehicles as a young apprentice, 'Ye jist need a little mair purr..sivver..ince laddie!' I soon discovered that meant using a 14lb lump hammer instead of a 7lb one.

A very wise, if unsubtle, old 'hielandman'!

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: smee and flecc

djbob

Pedelecer
May 12, 2021
i had the same problem so perchest a set of eBay and everything is fine now just having a problem getting nut cover for the side the wire comes out

Advertisers