Slightly different battery question (off topic)

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
And yet the same. :) :) :) adding lots of smileys :)

I have a device that is normally used to detect change in the infra field to detect cars in your driveway (motion detector) and send a signal back to the based plugged into an outlet (up to 190 ft with a clear sight line), which in turn operates a built in bell, or alternatively activated a outlet (for instance turning on a lamp.)

However I'm using it in my living room to reduce energy consumption on a fan. When I come into the room, it activates the device, and turns on the fan for 3 minutes. If I don't move or fall asleep, and don't move the fan stays off. I've believe I've calculated over the long run, that I'm saving power consumption. If I just had the fan operating normally, I would generally leave it on as I get up and go in kitchen for instance for 5 minutes, so thus for example it saves two minutes where it would run blowing on nothing living. Or if I forget and leave it on and leave, it still shuts off after 3 minutes even if I forgot it for hours.

Anyway, the detector runs on 4 AA batteries. I'm using 4 NIMH which operate in it 24 hours, (so some loss there). But I haven't figured out how to decide when to throw the batteries in the charger (8 hour charger). I've let them go as long as 12 days 24/7, and whenever I test them, I get 1.2 volts each. Should I be looking for a voltage drop? Should I risk just letting them go until they won't operate the device, or could I end up damaging them?

Thanks! ( it's not world shaking failure if I kill them, but I figure, somebody probably could save me from doing that)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can let them go much longer than that prState. In theory, they can be safely discharged down to 1 volt without damage, but it's best not to let them go much below that or there's a risk they might refuse to accept a new charge.

I would run them on, checking from time to time for when they drop to almost 1 volt each cell. You might just be lucky and get one month, and then only have to remember to charge at the start of each month which would be ideally convenient. If not, perhaps settling for roughly two weekly, start and mid month would be fairly convenient.

Hope that's some help.

Brad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2007
I live in Monrovia CA USA
Also remember that the device that is plugged into the fan and wall is probably drawing in the order of 3 watts all the time! So how much are you really saving after subtracting that?

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Anyway, the detector runs on 4 AA batteries. I'm using 4 NIMH which operate in it 24 hours, (so some loss there). But I haven't figured out how to decide when to throw the batteries in the charger (8 hour charger). I've let them go as long as 12 days 24/7, and whenever I test them, I get 1.2 volts each. Should I be looking for a voltage drop? Should I risk just letting them go until they won't operate the device, or could I end up damaging them?
I've got loads of this type of battery and have been using them for years in everything. I just recharge them when the device doesn't work any more; never had a problem with this.

Anyway, these batteries are so cheap compared to alkaline batteries that they are not worth fretting over.

tigeravenger

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2009
Doncaster Yorkshire
Battery for POWACYCLE MILAN 2

Hi everyone, after buying a POWACYCLE Milan 2 to help my wife keep up with me on my Wisper 905se, i have found that i have been ripped off by an unscrupulous e bayer, anyway the end result it a motor with an intermittant power surge almost like a on off effect when power is on, the POWACYCLE technical support guy suggested that it may not be the motor but a duff cell in the battery, causing the motor to cut in and out due to low power, is there any way i can borrow, test, or otherwise try a similioar battery to see if this is the fact, any help very greatly appreciated, Ian in Sunny Doncaster.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't got one of these, but I'm practically certain it is the battery Ian. The Powacycle controller is an oddity which has this characteristic. Most controllers when the battery reaches too low a voltage will cut out and stay cut out until the bike is switched off and on again. The Powacycle controller on the Milan, Salisbury and Windsor models just cuts as the voltage drops, then with the motor load removed the battery voltage rises and the controller cuts in again, a constant on/off situation. It's actually not advisable to run like that since it strains the controller. Exactly the same thing happens when good batteries run low and need recharging.

I'm sure that if you replace the batteries inside the case it will be ok. Make sure you get the right type of high discharge batteries and just wire them in as you found the old ones wired in.

tigeravenger

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2009
Doncaster Yorkshire
Powacycle Battery

Hi Flecc
Thanks so much for your advice, what i am worried about is spending a £100 or so to find i still need to buy a motor, so im wondering if any readers have a battery i can try or know of any dealers close to me, also can anyone point me in the direction of the batteries inside the case as the tech support guy told me only POWACYCLE and one other company in the universe do them, he thought they might be in Birmingham somehwere and cost around £80 for the three he recalled.
Thanks again for your advice and guidance.

Ian

tigeravenger

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2009
Doncaster Yorkshire
Li-ion Battery for Milan 2

I have been lucky enough to receive a sample 36v 14 amp Li-ion battery and charger from a supplier in China, and am hoping to test it on the brand new Milan 2 which I infamously bought with a dud lead acid 36v battery, Can any one please tell me how i can easily find which of the slots at the bottom of the Milan2 battery holder is positive and visa versa, I intend to wire the new battery into the bike which fits almost perfectly except for the position of the terminals. Any advice very welcome and appreciated,
Yours sincerely and fraternally

Ian

Advertisers