Smartcharger

Dirk44

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2020

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Welcome Dirk

There's not much detail there. Is this basically a "charging brick" like the ones used to charge mobile 'phones?

Or is it mains powered?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi dirk

So there is very little information so hard to know. I think I would have the following initial questions

1. What voltage 36v? 48v? Both?

2. 4a is a lot for such a small device. How does it dissapate the heat generated? Most chargers are bulky for cooling or have fan cooling

3. Is a computer required? Is a mobile phone required? I see an old style printer D connector on the end

Thanks

Yannik_24

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2020
This charger has real style. I'll be glad when the charger comes out. I have now also registered with Indiegogo with my e-mail to stay up to date.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As Gavin says, remarkably little detail. You can see the poke now, the pig will be along some time.

Dirk44

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2020
But it is also said that you can set the charging current via APP and that you can set how far you want to charge your battery, for example only up to 70%

And are these really useful features or not?

Lamm95

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2020
Hey guys, I sent a message to the support and got an answer.
They now have a Website online with more information about the charger

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hey guys, I sent a message to the support and got an answer.
They now have a Website online with more information about the charger
You didn't need to send them an email. You know all about it. Why didn't you just ask your colleagues when you see them if you have any questions.

Guys, don't be dishonest. That's three of you now. When you're dishonest, it casts aspersions on your company and products. I know it's hard when you make a startup, and you're just trying to bump up your product on Google, but don't take us for fools. Talk to admin, maybe they'll let you do something if you ask them nicely.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
For me? No they're not. I just want to charge my battery in full every time.

I can't see any benefit in controlling it by app either
I agree on what I see. How much smaller or lighter is it really once you add a input /output cable?

And since balancing happens at the end of the charge Im not totally convinced that charging to a lesser point repeatedly will extend the life of your whole pack.

Yes, charging to 95% and not discharging to low will increase life of a cell but when you take this thought to a whole pack.... Hmm, seems like a user is more liky to kill a pack through lack of balancing of a cell string or two

Maybe wrong but just my thoughts at the moment

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How can it be a smart charger when it can't control battery cell voltage ?
All it can do is charge the battery pack voltage to a set % via an app and hope all cells are good and they will accept a charge to within 0.01v of each other. It's not a smart charger that is needed for batteries but a configurable smart BMS.

MichaelM

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2020
How can it be a smart charger when it can't control battery cell voltage ?
All it can do is charge the battery pack voltage to a set % via an app and hope all cells are good and they will accept a charge to within 0.01v of each other. It's not a smart charger that is needed for batteries but a configurable smart BMS.
What happened to this, did it ever appear?

Isn't the BMS in the battery pack? So still in the equation? Is the main issue about if and how often it is necessary to charge the battery fully to trigger the balancing?

I still wouldn't connect it to a £700+ Bosch battery without a full and satisfactory understanding of how it performs the correct processes for the battery, and for that matter what that process is. I don't believe that information will be forthcoming. Companies like Bosch want to give us a set of black boxes and they are always going to say that only a Bosch charger should be used.

Last edited:

Advertisers