Solar Chargers

BBB

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2007
Can anyone recommend a good solar charger for electric bikes.

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
you would want a good solar panel to charge up a couple or few good batteries depending on what you are taking out wired up for 12v then an inverter of the correct rating to plug your charger into it
fatts

pageal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Guim ebiking in Australia, trailer has solar panel charger

This cyclist is travelling the world on his Wisper. I beleive he's Spanish (named Guim), recently toured SE Asia and has been in NSW, Australia in April 2010. He carries 2 lithium batteries, which he rotates through the solar charger; with a solar panel on top of his trailer. Comment made, 'Sort of a perpetual motion machine'. Possibly more limited potential under UK grey skies. He's done 11,000 km so far, and still going.

Guim's blog. Scroll down a tad to see his bike and trailer.
EBWT - English » Electric Blog | Follow the trip

Pic of rig in NSW, Australia:
Situp-cycle.com » Blog Archive » gium almost goes past

Mike Rubbo meets Guim in Sydney 2010:
YouTube - Meeting Interesting Cyclists.
Quote: with 2 batteries and my chicken legs, I can easily do 300km/day.

Last edited:

pageal

100 Sanyo ebikes community share station w/ solar

27 April 2010. 100 Sanyo ebikes community share station w/ solar panel charging

Surprise! UT First To Electrify Bike Sharing in the U.S. : TreeHugger

In Tokyo, Sanyo recently installed 100 of their eneloop battery powered e-bikes at a "community" bike share divided between three Setagaya train stations and powered 100% (battery charging and LED station lighting) with solar photovoltaics.

Sanyo's Electric Hybrid Bicycle
by A.K. Streeter, Portland, Oregon on 12.02.08
Go Farther, Faster on Sanyo's Electric Hybrid Bicycle : TreeHugger

Japanese riders are pretty enamored of electric bikes, however, with the market estimated at nearly 300,000 electric bikes last year. Sanyo's new electric-hybrid Eneloop bike has two features going for it: the frame looks pretty good (if a bit girly), and the motor works on the front wheel to give the rider triple the pedal power compared to a non-motorized bike. And the price is right in the middle of the spectrum: 136,000 yen ($1,430 dollars) when it hits Japanese stores next February.

pageal

Wholesolar don't stock solar charger now

I raised the question with Syd at LEVA and here is what he came up with:

Mark, check out this company: Electric Bikes solar charging station
Alan in Melbourne, Aust here. I emailed this co, and here's their reply: 'This is a hidden page on our website- we currently do not sell it. The items that we used for it are no longer available and we no longer sell ebikes. Thank you for thinking of us, though!'

'Unfortunately we do not ship overseas either. We could put something custom together if you were able to tell me the charging requirements of your bike'.

Last edited:

Sensate

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2010
oh-oh

Thanks Alan,
I passed on your find to Syd.
Let us know if and when you spot a like alternative.

Advertisers