specialized levo battery health dropping

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon/Dorset
Sounds like they have a cell balancing problem with thier batteries, or using rubbish cells, which I doubt. All that high tech software and they can't get the basics right. I would love to know how your LBS checked that "all cells ok". Is your range dropping along with the under charging?

Mar 23, 2017
Sheffield
Hello - LBS have an automated tester that they plug in to the battery, draws pretty pictures of several cells and measure cell voltages. Reports 100% ok!
Range - gut reaction is yes cannot get as far on same tracks, but this is winter and Lithium cells are notorious for not liking cold..daughters Nissan Leaf doing this during latest cold snap.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon/Dorset
I must admit this high tech stuff is beyond me, I fix my bikes with a multi meter and soldering iron! It does sound like it's a software issue if the cell voltages are all ok. As you say, the cold weather will affect cell performance in any battery, so it's difficult to gauge range. You will be able to tell with your new loan pack hopefully. Leave the boffins head scratching to work it out, and you can just carry on enjoying your bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I expect they can check any parallel cell group as we can with a multimeter, each P group will have the same voltage. Any cell in P will support/prop up an underperfoming one, checking individual cells is harder when they are all interconnected up.
There is a possibilty that one or two cells are under performing but to get an accurate pic the pack would most likely need decommissioning to test each cell individually.

Advertisers