Help! Speed limit unlock !!!

Peceton

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2020
Hi everyone.
A few days ago I bought e-bike Fiido d2s. Max speed is 22km/h. Does anybody know , how to remove speed limit from the bike , if not, is there anyone who change something in my bike to make it a little faster ?
I live in London E4.
Best day

Reactions: Crowstooth

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi everyone.
A few days ago I bought e-bike Fiido d2s. Max speed is 22km/h. Does anybody know , how to remove speed limit from the bike , if not, is there anyone who change something in my bike to make it a little faster ?
I live in London E4.
Best day
The legal limit is around 25 KPH, you will not notice the difference of 3KPH (about 1MPH)!
The cost may be far higher, to you, if you REALLY speed it up beyond 25KPH, and get caught out!
Be wary.
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

no idea if it works but try it as will be something as simple as that imo.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The legal limit is around 25 KPH, you will not notice the difference of 3KPH (about 1MPH)!
The cost may be far higher, to you, if you REALLY speed it up beyond 25KPH, and get caught out!
Be wary.
Andy
the bike is not road legal anyway if the speed limit can be changed via the display so what is your point?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
the bike is not road legal anyway if the speed limit can be changed via the display so what is your point?
Not to change it?
There are only disadvantages with illegal bikes.....
Do I need to list them?
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Not to change it?
There are only disadvantages with illegal bikes.....
Do I need to list them?
Andy
any bike that can have the speed limit changed is classed as a off road switch via dongle or display code they are the same thing under law.

i have a ebike with a 20kw motor limited to 250w and 15mph 1234 and im going 130mph ;)

Derestriction, ‘off-road’ switches or modes and dongles

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law. The term ‘off-road’ suggests that these bikes can be ridden on parkland, forests or other places away from main roads, which isn’t accurate. E-bikes with increased motor power (continuous rated power above 250w) or increased speed (with motor assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph) cannot be used legally as bicycles anywhere on land accessible by the public; when riding on private land you would need permission from the landowner.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: danfoto and flecc

Peceton

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2020
Thanks for answers.
It didnt question about legal or illegal.
I asked if someone would help me, remove limit or something change, thats it.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
any bike that can have the speed limit changed is classed as a off road switch via dongle or display code they are the same thing under law.

i have a ebike with a 20kw motor limited to 250w and 15mph 1234 and im going 130mph ;)

Derestriction, ‘off-road’ switches or modes and dongles

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law. The term ‘off-road’ suggests that these bikes can be ridden on parkland, forests or other places away from main roads, which isn’t accurate. E-bikes with increased motor power (continuous rated power above 250w) or increased speed (with motor assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph) cannot be used legally as bicycles anywhere on land accessible by the public; when riding on private land you would need permission from the landowner.
Correct.
The other possibilty is to have the e-bike classed and registered as a Moped or Motorbike, with road tax, number plates, MOT, insurance and the correct safety items (helmet for example) as required by law....Though I am pretty sure, that its not quite that simple either.....
I do believe that it will then not be legal on many cycle paths anymore....
What are the advantages of having an illegal e-bikes? If its for the speed, a REAL purpose built motorbike, designed to do that, is always going to be far better, especially with regard to road holding, braking and even a modicum of more physical safety.
In my head, riders of illegal e-bikes can be likened to the suicidal Japanese Kamikaze (神風........
Normal motor and non motor bikers form a huge number of the serious and fatal injuries on the roads.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyclists are 15 times more likely than drivers to be killed on UK roads - but the public debate paints a different story.
In 2015, two pedestrians were killed and 96 seriously injured after being hit by a bicycle. But every year more than 100 cyclists are killed and more than 3,000 seriously injured on British roads – the majority by motorists
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The full article is only on the web.
IMHO, Common sense is really not applicable to riders of illegal e-bikes! They start off without a full deck, and remove even more cards by the way they ride....
Andy

bayzoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2020
What I don’t get is why Thomas Hanlon didn’t get charged for driving without insurance, MOT etc? Appreciate this is somewhat off topic from the OP’s original question.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for answers.
It didnt question about legal or illegal.
I asked if someone would help me, remove limit or something change, thats it.
What you should do is ask the question in the correct sub forum of speed pedelecs
What I don’t get is why Thomas Hanlon didn’t get charged for driving without insurance, MOT etc? Appreciate this is somewhat off topic from the OP’s original question.
He was tried for the more serious charges of undue care and attention having been found N.G they couldn't charge him for the lesser charges. Double jeopardy means they can't try him for other offences without other extenuating circumstances coming to light. The unfortunate lady was deemed to be at fault for the crash.

bayzoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2020
He was tried for the more serious charges of undue care and attention having been found N.G they couldn't charge him for the lesser charges. Double jeopardy means they can't try him for other offences without other extenuating circumstances coming to light. The unfortunate lady was deemed to be at fault for the crash.
Interesting, thanks for clearing that up

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
What you should do is ask the question in the correct sub forum of speed pedelecs

It is difficult to find a good account of the trial, but it is reported that he was charged with causing death by careless driving which he denied, and no driving licence which he admitted.
Newspapers then state that he was acquitted of all charges, but they are never totally correct and it is possible that he was convicted on his own admission of no driving licence.
It would not be double jeopardy to charge him with lesser offences if he was not tried for them, they would come up in a Magistrates court.
Could be that the CPS were too embarrassed to go any further. It must have been apparent in court that the collision was not his fault at all.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
It is difficult to find a good account of the trial, but it is reported that he was charged with causing death by careless driving which he denied, and no driving licence which he admitted.
Newspapers then state that he was acquitted of all charges, but they are never totally correct and it is possible that he was convicted on his own admission of no driving licence.
It would not be double jeopardy to charge him with lesser offences if he was not tried for them, they would come up in a Magistrates court.
Could be that the CPS were too embarrassed to go any further. It must have been apparent in court that the collision was not his fault at all.
It might not have been his fault but the speed that he was travelling on an illegal bike surely contributed to the unfortunate lady's death.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It might not have been his fault but the speed that he was travelling on an illegal bike surely contributed to the unfortunate lady's death.
I watched the (unclear) video, and I was surprised that he did not appear to be riding fast, subjectively.
But he was apparently totally silent, and the lady stepped out in front of him without looking to her right, as she should have done.
Even relatively loud motorbikes hit pedestrians, in the same manner, when threading through stopped traffic, the dangers with e-bikes are even higher because they are so quiet and bikers generally are very lax in using bells, buzzers, hooter and even their voices, to warn pedestrians of their approach!
And in the case of motorcyclists, they have a tendency to overtake stopped traffic at junctions or driveways, because they simply cannot believe that someone may let out a vehicle, being kind!
Literally, their funeral!
Push bikers tend to be overtaking between the pavement and stopped cars, also without due care and attention, when cars cross the traffic stream to enter a road or driveway, and them hitting that vehicle. could also cause a funeral....
Regards
Andy

Reactions: danfoto

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The trial was at a crown court tried a judge and jury he was acquitted of all accounts by his peers. if they wanted to do him for the lesser offences they should have gone with it and would have convicted him, however the more serious charge had to be tried above the lesser ones his legal team worked for him and as mentioned the jury deliberated the facts for him to be found N,G.
Tbh honest Hanlon got away with it he was fortunate.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
No wonder d8veh left this forum. Can anyone answer the OP's original question or not?
Even if I knew, which I don't, I still would not pass the information on.
The people that do that illegally to increase a bike's speed, and it smacks too much of lawbreaking rowdies, of whom I have absolutely no respect for.
And I just hope they all get their "just and fully legal deserts" eventually!
If it interests anyone, it also smacks of the "Dunning Kruger effect" as well! ;) ;) ;)
Andy

Advertisers