Spell Checker

Pedant

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 17, 2011
I've just posted for the first time for some years (probably for the first time since you moved to this provider) and noticed that the spell checker wants me to use American spellings rather than proper English.

Is it possible for me or the administrators to teach the software how to spell properly?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Are you using Chrome perchance? I have noticed that recently UK English needed to be added as a spell checking language. I have Chrome set up to check UK English and not US English.

You need to go into advanced settings to add spell checking languages.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and D C

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I've just posted for the first time for some years (probably for the first time since you moved to this provider) and noticed that the spell checker wants me to use American spellings rather than proper English.

Is it possible for me or the administrators to teach the software how to spell properly?
The spell checker is at your end, so its really up to you.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Is that you sw? No @flecc I can tell by your English which the whole world understands! :p

Pedant

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks for all the responses.

No. I'm using Firefox. Your suggestion gave me hope because I looked at Firefox's settings and indeed under "language" it had English (US) before English (UK) so I swapped them but it the spell checker still underlines favourite in red and changes it to favorite so that wasn't the answer. I'm pretty certain that other sites I access via the browser manage to spell check properly so I'm guessing it would need an administrator to change something in the site set up

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Thanks for all the responses.

No. I'm using Firefox. Your suggestion gave me hope because I looked at Firefox's settings and indeed under "language" it had English (US) before English (UK) so I swapped them but it the spell checker still underlines favourite in red and changes it to favorite so that wasn't the answer. I'm pretty certain that other sites I access via the browser manage to spell check properly so I'm guessing it would need an administrator to change something in the site set up
I just typed favourite and it brought up the correct spelling before I'd finished the word.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
colour favourite all good in Chrome checked with Firefox and it is broken, there must be a hidden option somewhere and god it is slow compared to Chrome!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I use Firefox but it doesn't check my spelling at all, even when I have it set to check it. Suits me like that but I've no idea why.

Perhaps it's self concious that I can spell far better than it can. :)

Reactions: D C

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
dont yoos te smelling czecker as my englis gramer is fyne.

m knot pretentousl jus ant kneeded in mi kase.

• :D

Advertisers