Stolen bike found

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I had my 4 month old Trek Powerfly stolen in September and this month it turned up in a local Cash Converters, thanks to a tip off from a local bike forum. It cost me £3200 and CC wanted £1500 after they paid £1000.
The guy who sold it to CC said that he bought it at a car boot sale ;);). Fancy that. Case closed.
Because the stolen property was worth more than £2000, the police refused to get involved in ownership of the bike and have left CC and my insurance company to fight it out. So much for me thinking, "hay that's my bike, I want it back". Actually it does belong to the insurers but it looks like handbags at dawn.
Most of the accessories have been stripped off the bike but they failed to notice the Badass Box. As I didn't get paid out for accessories I've made it clear to both parties that I want this back.
I suppose the moral of this tale is never give up looking, but don't expect to get it back.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I had my 4 month old Trek Powerfly stolen in September and this month it turned up in a local Cash Converters, thanks to a tip off from a local bike forum. It cost me £3200 and CC wanted £1500 after they paid £1000.
The guy who sold it to CC said that he bought it at a car boot sale ;);). Fancy that. Case closed.
Because the stolen property was worth more than £2000, the police refused to get involved in ownership of the bike and have left CC and my insurance company to fight it out. So much for me thinking, "hay that's my bike, I want it back". Actually it does belong to the insurers but it looks like handbags at dawn.
Most of the accessories have been stripped off the bike but they failed to notice the Badass Box. As I didn't get paid out for accessories I've made it clear to both parties that I want this back.
I suppose the moral of this tale is never give up looking, but don't expect to get it back.
We've got a shop similar to CC in the local town, and it always amazes me how many bikes they've got displayed outside the shop. The local scallies must be working full time round here :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We've got a shop similar to CC in the local town, and it always amazes me how many bikes they've got displayed outside the shop. The local scallies must be working full time round here :eek:
Has the law changed. My understanding that dealing in stolen goods is an offense and one is called a fence?
While CC may not have known for certain that the goods were stolen the fact that they bought them at 30% of retail price would be a clue .there is an offense related to being reckless in purchasing stolen goods.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go to cc and just take the dongle and walk out the shop with it as what are they going to do phone the police pmsl as long as you have proof it was stolen the cps has got no chance as it is ur property.

D

Deleted member 4366

Better still, go in the shop and take the whole bike. The police have already said that they're not going to get involved.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Take it for a test ride back to your garage

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If insurance has paid out on the bike then it is not yours any longer, legally the insurers own it.

What you should have done instead of making any demands was to ask CC to let you take the bike out for a test ride, do the necessary to remove your part and then simply return bike stating it didn't suit you. After and then you should have contacted the insurance firm.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When mine went missing I kept a lookout for it everywhere I went, but then I thought .. What would I do if I found it? Been paid out so bike isnt mine any more but still.. got to try to discourage the passing on of stolen bikes any way possible so I would make as much noise as I could. I have to ask why is there an upper limit regarding police involvement? I would have thought that the more value a stolen item has the more likely the police would want to deal with it, surely a high value recovery would look good on their stats! Unless I am misunderstanding that bit..

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
The police are pursuing the criminal side of the theft but didn't want to get involved in the ownership. According to them, CC and the bloke who sold the bike to them are innocent parties ( cough cough) until proven otherwise.
CC have this bike locked in a room not for sale so yes I could have originally asked for a test ride but that's being wise after the event.
As a couple have pointed out, the bike no longer belongs to me but both parties know that the assessor is mine.

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Few years back I had the same thing, my bike was nicked and disappeared, I kept an eye out in CC and in town for a few months but gave up, and bought my e-bike soon after.

A year or so later I was wandering through town and saw it! Locked up to a rack...

I waited for the 'owner' and told him he was riding a stolen bike, and that I could identify it from pictures taken and certain aftermarket items I had added.

He was a bit shocked but said he got it from Crime Converters for £150 and didn't know. He seemed genuine but I phoned the police because if nothing else this was a lead to the real thieves.

The local copper turned up and did an impressive job at telling me there could be no further action, the bike was bought in good faith.

Next day I went into the shop and asked them about their procedure for handling stolen goods. They don't have one. Proof of ID is all that is needed plus you sign a declaration stating that the goods are yours to sell.

They don't even keep frame numbers for bikes that pass through their shops.

I was glad when it closed down a few weeks later. There must be loads of poor souls who see their valuables turn up in places like this and the burden of proof is with the victim it seems.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I wonder what would happen if you stole the bike back and when the cops came looking you just denied everything said it must be a mistake and were able to show the original receipt which would include the frame number as proof.

Reactions: Wicky

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Heh! Maybe I should if I see it again...

I didn't have insurance so I could legally state a claim to original ownership.

Advertisers