Strange noise from Sprint? Nah....

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
Well, there I was taking advantage of a couple of weeks off work and for a miracle, NO RAIN, cycling back from taking neddy for a potter.

Suddenly my bike seemed to start making a bizarre whirly, whining clattery noise that started increasing in volume - sounded like terminal motor-meltdown. Then a strange shape passed me on the road - it was an ancient VW golf containing a couple of elderly-ish gentlemen, with a wind turbine strapped to the roof - and all became clear. And yet, so much more complicated!

I mean, why?? :D It was a living Grandad cartoon. Flecc hasn't suddenly moved to Bracknell and gone insane has he? (No, if it was flecc the turbine would have been attached to a bike). What's the rationale?? "Hmm George, it just isn't windy enough to generate the power to boil the kettle." "Never mind Bernard, let's put the turbine on the car and go for a drive, that'll give us all the power we need! I'm gagging for a cuppa".

Sustainable power generation in action!?! :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Certainly sounds weird FatMog, but it could have some degree of eco sense. There are small wind turbines used on yachts, and sometime caravans, which generate 12 volts for battery charging.

If the alternator on these old gents ancient Golf had packed up, keeping the battery charged via the wind generator, if they already had one, would keep the car on the road.

Ecologically better than junking it and buying a new car, and maybe a saving on a new alternator.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
You had me worried about your bike there for a moment, FatMog! :D

It does sound comical and my first reaction was "you couldn't make it up"! But what flecc says makes some sense, though with the noise you describe, I'd be too embarassed to be in the car!

You got me thinking about electric bike motor noise and animals, and I thought you'd be someone, maybe flecc too, who may be able to help answer this: some people say dogs, for instance, seem to react to the hub motor noise, and I wondered if it can be disturbing for animals?

Now, I'm choosing my words very carefully, and i'm sure that your horse (is it Neddy, you said?) is always very well-behaved with an excellent demeanour :D ;) but have you ever ridden with the motor near Neddy, or any other animals, and noticed any reaction to it which indicates it disturbs them? I'm just curious :).

Stuart.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Some friends of mine have a Jack Russell Terrier who gets very excited at the sound of my bike, buts that's because the sound signifies my arrival which usually means fuss, treats, play and maybe even a walk.

I often encounter horses on my travels but rarely get any reaction from them, I think the odd times there is a reaction is simply down to a nervous horse.

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
My horse (Frank) is a paragon of equine virtue... I rode him past a combine harvester in full flurry today and I don't think he even noticed it! :) Most horse are ok with bikes, leccy or otherwise, but they can be spooked if a bike comes up quickly behind them because they are so quiet and it takes them by surprise. As I horserider I would always prefer a cyclist approaching from the rear to ring their bell or shout a warning from 10 meters away, that's less startling. And as a cyclist meeting a horse I would prefer to do the same because if the animal is going to have a psycho-nutcase attack I'd rather not be under it's hooves at the time! :D

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks for the useful advice FatMog, I will try to follow it next time I encounter a horse (sorry for the confusion over Frank's name! :eek:). Good to know the motors don't seem to bother them too :).

As for Jack Russells Ian, I already know they bark, sorry, yap! at just about anything that moves, or not :D.

You might think I'm being flippant, since I live only a mile or two from the centre of Manchester, but I've often met horses with riders within a few miles of home (not just police ones either, which I often don't even need to leave home to see!) and a very refreshing change it makes too :) I'll always try to treat them with the respect they deserve, so its good to know how to act in advance: I'd also much prefer not to be on the receiving end of a "psycho-nutcase" attack by hooves :D.

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Huge numbers of horses and riders in my North surrey area, and I have experienced some nervous horse reaction to bike sounds which seems not uncommon, though like the others, I take care and slow right down. If I see signs of nervousness in a horse as I arrive from the rear I greet the rider on approach, the voice seeming to reassure the horse.

Many animals have a very deep seated primitive snake reaction, and the hissing rustle of a bike chain and sprockets could be a component in some reactions, so possibly some electric motor sounds could also produce a similar reaction. There's a dog on a farm I pass while going south which detects my quando/torq motor sound from far off and is outside ready to attack as I arrive, seemingly sent beserk by the sound. It never reacts to the Twist or my previous unpowered bikes.

Last edited:

BigBob

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2007
Swansea
Certainly sounds weird FatMog, but it could have some degree of eco sense. There are small wind turbines used on yachts, and sometime caravans, which generate 12 volts for battery charging.

If the alternator on these old gents ancient Golf had packed up, keeping the battery charged via the wind generator, if they already had one, would keep the car on the road.

Ecologically better than junking it and buying a new car, and maybe a saving on a new alternator.
Reminds me of an idea I've had for some time - there is ALWAYS quite a wind on motorways (particularly the central reserve) and it's always surprised me that someone hasn't experimented with putting small turbines in between or on top of the crash barrier.

Yes there would be technical and safety problems to overcome but there would be no downside of the 'Visual Pollution' than can be cast at present day 'Wind Farms' and as most of the wind is generated by traffic, which is heaviest during the day coinciding with high electricity demands ...............

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice idea Bob, regeneration by proxy, recovering some of that wasted petrol generated energy.

The authorities might then magically lose their desire to cut driving speeds! :D

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
how about turbine-tunnels in the tube? Those trains always seem to push along a howling gale!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
how about turbine-tunnels in the tube? Those trains always seem to push along a howling gale!
Reminds me of the atmospheric railway from very long ago, remnants at Crystal Palace. It was a train in a tunnel with leather sealing rings between train and tunnel. Air was pumped into the tunnel to push the train though like a bullet in a rifle barrel. You won't be surprised to know it wasn't a success.

Advertisers