Summer tyres???

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
Hi folks,

I have a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro, does anyone on here swap out to summer tyres? If so, any recommendations? I currently have aggressive continentals(2.4") on there, great for winter, wanted to maintain a fairly sturdy sidewall etc as getting tyres on/off is a major undertaking and best avoided. My plastic tyre levers trying to get the conti's off just bend. Was curious if I could get more efficient tyres, good for gravel/trails, nothing too technical or gnarly whilst maintaining the robustness to avoid punctures.

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi folks,

I have a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro, does anyone on here swap out to summer tyres? If so, any recommendations? I currently have aggressive continentals(2.4") on there, great for winter, wanted to maintain a fairly sturdy sidewall etc as getting tyres on/off is a major undertaking and best avoided. My plastic tyre levers trying to get the conti's off just bend. Was curious if I could get more efficient tyres, good for gravel/trails, nothing too technical or gnarly whilst maintaining the robustness to avoid punctures.

Thanks in advance
Phil.

Hi Phil,

When I had a Cube Hybrid Pro I used these tyres https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-gt-365 They are great all round, all season tyres. I did over 2,000 miles and never got a puncture. They are heavy but that doesn't matter on an ebike and are perfect for what you use your bike for. As for getting the Conti's off, you may need some additional mechanical assistance. I've struggled with many tyre brands to remove them, the worst were Maxxis Minions, factory fitted. I didn't have the finger strength to break the bead seal so resorted to using a woodworking plastic ratchet clamp. Factory fitted tyres are sometimes very difficult to remove. Once you do manage to remove them and fit new tyres use some Red Rubber Grease on the wheel where the bead sits https://paintman.co.uk/shop/castrol-red-rubber-grease/ I found when I used the grease I could remove the tyre with those little plastic leaver's. The Scwalbe Marathons can be a bit of a tight fit, but not as difficult as the Conti Rubans I've used recently. Don't be tempted by the Ruban's, they are low cost but puncture easily. My first front wheel puncture since 2018 was on a Conti Ruban, super low rolling resistance, but you can't go very far on a flat tyre. Make sure you use a tyre sealant, Muc Off is regarded as the best, but it's also the most expensive. When I punctured my front Ruban I was using Slime, but it was over a year old and I'd not given the inner tube a top up. Hope that helps, enjoy your ebiking.

Regards,

Jon

Reactions: Philip Copley

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
Great answer Jon, thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm going to have a look at the schwalbes for sure, i like the idea of puncture free biking and the grip looks great for touring/gravel etc. Have fun on your e-bike, best, Phil.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Great answer Jon, thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm going to have a look at the schwalbes for sure, i like the idea of puncture free biking and the grip looks great for touring/gravel etc. Have fun on your e-bike, best, Phil.
No problem, I’d still recommend you use sealant as well, it just gives you an extra level of security and confidence.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
No problem, I’d still recommend you use sealant as well, it just gives you an extra level of security and confidence.
Forgot to mention the grips great on tarmac and trails as long as you keep out of deep mud.

Reactions: Philip Copley

Related Articles

Advertisers