Suspension seat post. Suntour NCX 12

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can have it all the way down if that is what you mean !

Or if you mean the minimum that's needed to be inserted then that is about 100mm or so there is a line marked to which not to go beyond.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Julie and LeighPing

Akulaking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
Jumping in on this thread sorry, does the seat move a little forward or backward as the parallogram compresses, or is it linear movement, ie straight up and down. Are they better than the old fashioned spring in the post design? Thanks.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Jumping in on this thread sorry, does the seat move a little forward or backward as the parallogram compresses, or is it linear movement, ie straight up and down. Are they better than the old fashioned spring in the post design? Thanks.
Goes backward but not really noticeable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As with the last post you don't notice much movement unless you hit a biggy, any movement is simply rearwards which causes a slight lowering of height by a few mm.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Are they better than the old fashioned spring in the post design? Thanks.
From what I’ve read there damped so far superior to a straight spring post
Don’t quote me thou as I’ve never owned one personally

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've used both types and the NCX is far better for me, it's much smoother maybe due to the down and back movement.
The straight spring post actually hurt my lower back, perhaps because the up and down motion is also slightly forward as well due to the geometry of the frame. I also have a full suspension which of course is unbeatable on the really rough stuff but as I now keep to sensible tracks and paths my choice would always be hard tail with NCX.
Dave.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If buying suspension seat post based spring rating on your riding weight, ie riding clothes, helmet plus usual backpack load if you use one.

Akulaking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
Thanks for all the replies and info, does appear from looking at the video, that there is a fair bit of backward movement as it compresses, maybe it looks more than it feels.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
does appear from looking at the video, that there is a fair bit of backward movement as it compresses, maybe it looks more than it feels.
I don't even notice the backwards motion in fact it's a natural movement for your body when riding.
In my experience your Basic up/down posts tend to wear and/or cease due to your body wanting to push it down & backwards but the post movement is down & slightly forwards

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Thanks for all the replies and info, does appear from looking at the video, that there is a fair bit of backward movement as it compresses, maybe it looks more than it feels.
Hi
Its best it moves backwards slightly due to the angle of seat tubes
As already said a straight up and down seat post wants to work wrong because it naturally shortens the horizontal top tube length every time it gets compression because of the seat tube angle also effectively pushing forward in relation to the floor
where as the suntours cantilever design has the opposite effective and isnt trying to fight its self to work resulting in a smoother action
If it was my money it would be cantilever instead of straight push any day

Advertisers