Switch Clarification

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Just a little confirmation on the use of the red (R/H) and green (L/H) buttons.

I assume that for any power mode (Pedelec or throttle ) the red button has to be pressed and for Pedelec mode the green button is also pushed but the throttle need not be turned.

It would help if the green button illuminated when latched as with no throttle there is no apparent support ~ or should I be turning the throttle?

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Just a little confirmation on the use of the red (R/H) and green (L/H) buttons.

I assume that for any power mode (Pedelec or throttle ) the red button has to be pressed and for Pedelec mode the green button is also pushed but the throttle need not be turned.

It would help if the green button illuminated when latched as with no throttle there is no apparent support ~ or should I be turning the throttle?
As far as I can tell, the buttons work as follows:
  • The R/H (Red) button turns the electrics on and off
  • With the electrics on you can operate either in pedelec mode (i.e. pedalling) or in throttle mode (i.e. twisting the throttle and not pedalling)
  • In pedelec mode you can increase the amount of assistance by twisting the throttle whilst pedalling
  • The L/H (Green) button turns the 15mph cut-off restriction on and off (default is on, i.e. street legal)
  • When the bike is de-restricted, it will go beyond 15mph up to about 19mph (on the flat) in throttle mode
  • Without the throttle, pedelec mode behaves identically in restricted and de-restricted modes
  • When the bike is de-restricted, you will get assistance beyond 15mph in pedelec mode if you twist the throttle whilst pedalling
You're quite right, its often impossible to tell if you're in restricted or de-restricted mode (you can only guess based on how fast the speedo says you're going).

Regards,

Elephants

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
Hi
I have an electronic copy of a manual that David emailed to me, that describes how the buttons work - it is actually for the latest 905se batch. (The other manual I recieved seemed to describe buttons that weren't there!) Unfortunately it's too big to attach here (6MB), but I can email it to you if you would like it, and your inbox can receive a file that big!
Cheers,
Howard

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
I've recently bought a new Wisper bike and I can't see any difference at all after pressing the derestrict button. :confused:

I'm even tempted to take a peek inside the control box to see if it's actually connected. I'll probably wait a few weeks before I go fiddle around in there though. I worry that I'll wire it wrong and end up going backwards.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
You're quite right, its often impossible to tell if you're in restricted or de-restricted mode (you can only guess based on how fast the speedo says you're going).
I like the fact that others can't tell if it's in street legal mode or not, no lights for me thanks.

I've recently bought a new Wisper bike and I can't see any difference at all after pressing the derestrict button. :confused:

I'm even tempted to take a peek inside the control box to see if it's actually connected. I'll probably wait a few weeks before I go fiddle around in there though. I worry that I'll wire it wrong and end up going backwards.
The difference isn't obvious at first but try peddling to about 18mph and cruising on the throttle, now turn the restriction on and off. After a couple of seconds you should notice a difference, the other way may be to do it stationary with the back wheel off the floor.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Buttons

Thanks Elephants and Mussels for your help.

Wibble, you are absolutely correct it is not at all obvious but it really does work. You won't notice any difference when riding at up to 15mph, but it will take you over 15mph when it is on.

I have taken all your helpful comments on board and we will be adding an LED to signify when the derestric is working.

Best regards David

Advertisers