The HMK 561

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seen before Ajax, completely impractical and the text shows that the designer is ignorant about electric bike requirements.

Nowhere for pedals, nowhere for a motor since he apparently rules out hub motors, he couldn't even be bothered to draw correctly since the swing arm goes behind the rim but in front of the hub, meaning the back wheel can't turn.

As for the statement that a prototype has been built on these lines, does he really think people are stupid enough to believe that. This is no more than a web page to introduce the concept of a super-capacitor built as a frame. We need to see current super-capacitors developed to a working stage for an e-bike application before thinking about making them into different shapes using novel materials.

Another one that ranks with the "powered pedals" silliness.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Seen before Ajax, completely impractical and the text shows that the designer is ignorant about electric bike requirements.

''Nowhere for pedals, nowhere for a motor since he apparently rules out hub motors, he couldn't even be bothered to draw correctly since the swing arm goes behind the rim but in front of the hub, meaning the back wheel can't turn.''

I think that's a drive shaft and swing arm combined -a little bit Gruber like ??
Not sure about the dual wheel set up - other than it allows the fork and drive to connect. It all looks very brittle !!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I realised that the arm and drive shaft were probably intended to be combined, but the wheel still can't turn since the arm goes through the spokes according to the careless drawing. Still no way for pedals to share in the drive, showing no real thought has gone into it, just a scribbled off the cuff ill-founded idea.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Clicking on the thumbnails it appears the shaft / forks locate between a bi-wheel rear + front. There is also a 'real life' version -mock up shown---not saying it will work though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Clicking on the thumbnails it appears the shaft / forks locate between a bi-wheel rear + front. There is also a 'real life' version -mock up shown---not saying it will work though.
Yes, obviously it has to like that, I'm just commenting on the careless drawing, something that gives me no confidence.

The "real life" version is the one that was shown in the original thread on this, where we commented that still no accommodation for pedals or a crank drive, just foot rests at a height the pedal crank couldn't be at. Add to that the effects of trying to bank on double wheels and the way that altering the track would feel makes the whole thing rather silly.

The bicycle was perfected many decades ago and all these attempts at improvement just lead to greater inefficiency and complexity. The best e-bike will always be close to traditional bicycles, not these modernistic concepts that are designs for the sake of being different.

Advertisers