The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The highlights of this year's show were shown on BBC One at 1830 hrs this evening. As usual, I made a point of watching, mainly because of my liking for military marching bands, but his year I noticed a departure from the usual format.

Yes, there were plenty of traditional bands playing, but the Royal New Zealand military band was a hoot, at one point, some downed instruments and broke into a "gangnam" routine.

Really enjoyed the junior motorcycle display team from London, smartly attired in the Scots Guards uniform. It was really great to see these youngsters, some just seven years-of-age, demonstrating such precision riding.

Particularly amusing, the slightly bemused expression on the faces of the Mongolian contingent when the massed bands and choirs broke into "Auld Lang Syne".

Presentations of this type, something the BBC does very well, just somehow make the cost of a television license a little more palitable.

If you missed the program, it's on BBC iplayer.

2013 EDINBURGH MILITARY TATTOO

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
The highlights of this year's show were shown on BBC One at 1830 hrs this evening. As usual, I made a point of watching, mainly because of my liking for military marching bands, but his year I noticed a departure from the usual format.

Yes, there were plenty of traditional bands playing, but the Royal New Zealand military band was a hoot, at one point, some downed instruments and broke into a "gangnam" routine.

Really enjoyed the junior motorcycle display team from London, smartly attired in the Scots Guards uniform. It was really great to see these youngsters, some just seven years-of-age, demonstrating such precision riding.

Particularly amusing, the slightly bemused expression on the faces of the Mongolian contingent when the massed bands and choirs broke into "Auld Lang Syne".

Presentations of this type, something the BBC does very well, just somehow make the cost of a television license a little more palitable.

If you missed the program, it's on BBC iplayer.

2013 EDINBURGH MILITARY TATTOO
Like you, I enjoyed the New Zealand contingent, but I thought the rest was dire.:( It's blatantly 'de-militarizing' the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. I know this was just highlights, but I can't see that the BBC would have chosen to edit out everything that was vaguely military - I suspect it reflects a politically correct theme which seems to be getting more pronounced each year, and probably also reflects the emasculation of our military capability. Overall a huge disappointment:(

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
..It's blatantly 'de-militarizing' the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo was the armed forces contribution to the week-long Edinburgh Festival. The purpose of which, was to lift the spirits of the population of a country ravished by two world wars in quick sucession....it was never about demonstrating any countries military capability.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo was the armed forces contribution to the week-long Edinburgh Festival. The purpose of which, was to lift the spirits of the population of a country ravished by two world wars in quick sucession....it was never about demonstrating any countries military capability.
I didn't think, or mean to imply, that it was 'about demonstrating any countries military capability'. I just think it's a shame they've removed many of the marching displays and events similar to the field gun race which used to run at Earls Court. Surely those type of displays showed the military in a good light?

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
..Surely those type of displays showed the military in a good light?
Yes, of course they did. Above all, they demonstrated the importance of discipline, team-working and attention to detail in the minds of youngsters watching.

Perhaps the content of the "Highlights" program was carefully chosen to suit all tastes, ages and nationalities....oh! and don't forget "diversity" ;)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Mongolians at the Edinburgh Tatoo? Jings, they'll let Glasgwegans in next.:eek:

Then again, maybes not:
Glaswegian chippy lover accuses Edinburgh chip shop of racism after being charged for tomato sauce - Daily Record
He's been Embrised - lived there for 18 years and can't remember what a proper fish supper is like. It's salt and vinegar, nothing else.
Only the weird folk in the East have sauce on their chips in the shop. Have it at home, in the privacy of your front room, with your feet up in front of the telly, but you don't tell anyone.
Big jessie.

ps. I heard the Belgians put mayonaisse on theirs - but they're foreign types and they can be excused.

Advertisers