This Eagle won't fly

Nick Langley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2014
I have a three-years'-old FG Eagle.

The bike has decided to stop working. The battery is fine but when there is no power to the motor when you pedal or use the throttle. The power output selector was replaced only six months ago and appears to be working correctly.

Before I take the bike into the nearest agent I'd like to see if I can troubleshoot for myself.

D

Deleted member 4366

What makes you think the battery is OK.

The no. 1 cause of no power when the battery is OK is the brake switches. Follow the wires from the brakes to the controller compartment, then unplug them to test if it works. After you've done that, report back.

D

Deleted member 4366

The only way to test a battery is with a voltmeter. It should be over 41.5v when fully charged. What's yours?

Nick Langley

Apr 8, 2014
Hi d8veh,

The batteries work with my wife's Eagle.

Power is getting to the three speed output selector. The LEDs come on and the front light works too.

D

Deleted member 4366

Next step is to measure the voltage on the throttle cable between red and black. It should be 5v.

Nick Langley

Apr 8, 2014
Before I was so rudely interrupted!

I've checked the throttle voltage and that's fine.

When I twisted the throttle the rear wheel did move slightly.

D

Deleted member 4366

5v means that the controller is switched on. Twitching of the motor means a bad motor wire connection, faulty hall sensor in the motor or blown mosfet in the controller. It would be best to get an ebike tester at this point. They only cost a few quid from Ebay.

Advertisers