Thumb throttle .... push up or down to accelerate

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
Hi

Have recently purchased an ebike with a right hand thumb throttle (for off road use only)

Am just setting up the bars and levers etc and was wondering what way round the thumb throttle should be installed i.e should it be push thumb up to accelerate or push thumb down to accelerate?

Is it just a case just a case of removing grips etc to and turning round the throttle to suit the desired operation?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's conventional to press the lever downwards to increase the throttle, but there's no reason why you can't have it upwards. As said, it's best that the wire exits in a sensible direction.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All my throttles are on the lhs and I prefer to thumb them up/forward, the nicer movement I found was with the new 130X model which has a nice lever operation.

Post edit.
Should read 108x which has the lateral paddle lever underneath like a shifter does.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
  • Useful

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
This is the Wuxing 108x, not 130x and is a great thumb throttle in its own right.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is the Wuxing 108x, not 130x and is a great thumb throttle in its own right.
Of course you are right, I go my Wuxing's crossed ;).

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
All my throttles are on the lhs and I prefer to thumb them up/forward, the nicer movement I found was with the new 130X model which has a nice lever operation.

Post edit.
Should read 108x which has the lateral paddle lever underneath like a shifter does.
I have both ! Always lhs but up on my proper off roader and down on my commuter. I find it’s easy to nudge the down by accident on the bumpy off-road stuff and throttle on when not wanting it.

But maybe that’s just the result of my bars/brakes/setup

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I have my LH thumb control lever mounted vertically and push it forwards, much prefer it that way

Advertisers