Toronto rider seeks local mechanic - Crystalyte 408 Kit w/ Stutter / Intermittent Power

mikemckinlay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2019
Hi all. It's been a while since I was last here. I'm a Toronto mobile bicycle mechanic with all of the necessary skills and tools to diagnose bike issue but I know ZERO when it comes to electronics.

I have recently purchased a used Crystalyte 408 kit installed on a bike. (The full specs coming soon.) The motor engages and drives but there is an audible putt-putt-putt and stutter feeling. By no means the smooth flow I would expect.

I have yet to try the basics... unplug, clean, replug all kit wiring contacts, check for broken wires, ensure all connections are snug, etc. but are there some things I can test that I don't know about? (That I'm capable of as a DIY?)

On top of that, can anyone recommend a service person or facility in the Toronto GTA that has experience with this motor and or aftermarket kit components?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
we need a video/film clip of the issue, it could be phase out of sync ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The obvious first place too look is the motor connector approx. 8-10" form the hub axle, make sure the connector is firmly pushed together as even if it is only apart by 1,2 or 3mm it is enough to give poor contact on the pins.

mikemckinlay

Jun 12, 2019
Here are a few pictures so that I'm not incorrect in my request for assistance.

Appears to be : Crystalyte 408 motor with JNY-R3620, basic throttle, 36v 10.5ah battery and a few of the wiring harness.

Attachments

mikemckinlay

Jun 12, 2019
we need a video/film clip of the issue, it could be phase out of sync ?
It's audio only. Sorry but you don't need a video of the back of my calf...

An odd noise / pulsation, almost like a slowed down cat purr meets the "Lima Beans and Chianti" sound Anthony Hopkins makes in Silence Of The Lambs. I was not able to isolate the sound over the freewheel or wind noise but you can hear the difference when I throttle up at 10, 15, 19, 23, 33, 37 and 42 seconds. You can physically feel the ratta-taat-taat-taat. It's subtle but it's there.

Advertisers