Torque Power Pack useless

Cyclelady

Just Joined
Aug 24, 2021
I purchased a Wisper 705 - 24 inch in May with a Torque Power Pack. When I test rode it up the nearest hill I wasn't that impressed but then I got introduced to the throttle button that solved all my issues. Basically the bike is really unresponsive when I ride it. Then I rode a 705 with a Cadence Sensor on holiday in Scotland. I was amazed at how responsive it was in terms of adjusting the power level as I rode along. Then I started to ask - why does my bike not respond in the same way?

Because my Torque sensor does not do this at all. If I want a response out of it I have to have it in the highest level of Assist and stand up on the pedals. To arrive at my destination panting and sweating. Not what you want when you ride an ebike.
When faced with a steep hill I have to use the throttle. Going up the steepest hill round here when I tested a Trek on it I went up at 11 mph. The Wisper crawls up at 4mph with the throttle hard on (admittedly laden with shopping). Not a peep out of the Torque sensor.

I am now being told that I cannot expect the same degree of responsiveness from a Torque power pack. I find this somewhat bewildering. Before I bought the bike I read up on the torque power pack. It says on the wisper website: "So… if the bike is starting from standstill, encounters a hill, a strong headwind or if the bike is heavily laden, the torque sensor will recognise that more pressure is being put onto the pedals and the bike will offer more powered assistance. It’s very simple and very clever! "

Of course I fell for it, because I live in South Yorkshire - so it's all hills round here, and I use the bike for shopping, so it is frequently laden. But I would say that that statement is "*******". My bike offers me no additional assistance when hill climbing, nor when laden. The only time I sense a bit more help is when I pull off (on a hill).

To get it to respond the amount of pressure required as I said means I have to stand up on the pedals and use all my weight. And then in Assist level 5 it responds. But I expect it to respond when I push down a little harder when I'm riding along in Assist level 3. If I ride it in Assist level 5 that means the battery level goes down rapidly - which again negates the whole point of the Torque sensor, which is supposed to deliver increased battery range.

My situation is now that in my view the Torque Power pack is definitely not worth the extra money. I shouldn't have to put down that amount of pressure to get a response.. The Wisper with a Cadence sensor is a nice ride. Apparently I can't swap it and apparently I shouldn't be using the throttle that much. Renders the bike somewhat useless. Which, when you have spent £2k on it is rather galling.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That sounds as if the torque sensor isn't working right. Have you had a chance to compare it to another torque sensor 705?

You should get immediate responsiveness from additional pedalling force. The only way I'd expect a cadence sensor to be more responsive than a torque one is to a change in power setting while pedalling not that hard. You will always need to put some effort in to get a torque sensor to respond, even on the highest level, but it shouldn't be that much.

Cyclelady

Just Joined
Aug 24, 2021
That sounds as if the torque sensor isn't working right. Have you had a chance to compare it to another torque sensor 705?

You should get immediate responsiveness from additional pedalling force. The only way I'd expect a cadence sensor to be more responsive than a torque one is to a change in power setting while pedalling not that hard. You will always need to put some effort in to get a torque sensor to respond, even on the highest level, but it shouldn't be that much.
Thank you for your reply. I haven't had the chance to compare, but the bike shop are offering to replace it for me to see if it makes a difference. Then I would be able to. But I am also being told that it could be working and that it isn't the bike for me because I'm just not prepared to put the effort in. But as you say, it shouldn't require that much effort!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you don't get enough power when you use the throttle, something is wrong, and it's not likely to be the torque sensor. You should ring Wisper customer service and ask what they can do about your bike's lack of power. Something is clearly wrong. It has a 44v battery, so should give you approx 20% more power than the Trek.

Personally, I think torque sensors are a complete waste of time. They're just a gimmick to bolster people's egos rather than a useful way of controlling an electric bicycle.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you don't get enough power when you use the throttle, something is wrong, and it's not likely to be the torque sensor. You should ring Wisper customer service and ask what they can do about your bike's lack of power. Something is clearly wrong. It has a 44v battery, so should give you approx 20% more power than the Trek.

Personally, I think torque sensors are a complete waste of time. They're just a gimmick to bolster people's egos rather than a useful way of controlling an electric bicycle.
But she said 'but then I got introduced to the throttle button that solved all my issues' which is what made me think probably torque sensor issue. Though admittedly later 'The Wisper crawls up at 4mph with the throttle hard on' (or is the throttle intentionally limited to 4mph as many are?).

Whatever, as you say, something is clearly wrong, and I am sure Wisper customer service should be able to sort it,

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
But she said 'but then I got introduced to the throttle button that solved all my issues' which is what made me think probably torque sensor issue. Though admittedly later 'The Wisper crawls up at 4mph with the throttle hard on' (or is the throttle intentionally limited to 4mph as many are?).

Whatever, as you say, something is clearly wrong, and I am sure Wisper customer service should be able to sort it,
Good point. It could be that the shop set it up incorrectly with a 4mph throttle. Anyway, Wisper will tell her how to reset it the way she wants it.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi,

The twist grip activates a walk along mode which pulls the bike along at up to 4mph.

If a rider is on the bike and only when pedalling, the twist grip becomes an assistance regulator bypassing the assistance buttons on the display. This means that when turning the pedals the rider is able to gain maximum power and speed even if the assistance is set to low.

All the best, David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

The torque sensor does three important things.

Firstly it enables the bike to start instantly either of the pedals are pushed upon, rather like a car accelerator. This was particularly important when we were working with six magnets and one sensor, as two magnets had to pass the sensor to turn the motor on the rider may have to turn the pedals
120 degrees before getting any assistance, tricky when starting in a steep hill. These days with 24 magnets and two sensors the power on a non TS bike is pretty instantaneous.

Secondly bikes fitted with a torque sensor give the rider a more natural riding experience ie the harder they press down on a pedal the more assistance they will get.

Thirdly because the power is only delivered when the pedals are being pressed the bike uses the power in the battery more efficiently, hence extending the range.

All the best, David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I purchased a Wisper 705 - 24 inch in May with a Torque Power Pack. When I test rode it up the nearest hill I wasn't that impressed but then I got introduced to the throttle button that solved all my issues. Basically the bike is really unresponsive when I ride it. Then I rode a 705 with a Cadence Sensor on holiday in Scotland. I was amazed at how responsive it was in terms of adjusting the power level as I rode along. Then I started to ask - why does my bike not respond in the same way?

Because my Torque sensor does not do this at all. If I want a response out of it I have to have it in the highest level of Assist and stand up on the pedals. To arrive at my destination panting and sweating. Not what you want when you ride an ebike.
When faced with a steep hill I have to use the throttle. Going up the steepest hill round here when I tested a Trek on it I went up at 11 mph. The Wisper crawls up at 4mph with the throttle hard on (admittedly laden with shopping). Not a peep out of the Torque sensor.

I am now being told that I cannot expect the same degree of responsiveness from a Torque power pack. I find this somewhat bewildering. Before I bought the bike I read up on the torque power pack. It says on the wisper website: "So… if the bike is starting from standstill, encounters a hill, a strong headwind or if the bike is heavily laden, the torque sensor will recognise that more pressure is being put onto the pedals and the bike will offer more powered assistance. It’s very simple and very clever! "

Of course I fell for it, because I live in South Yorkshire - so it's all hills round here, and I use the bike for shopping, so it is frequently laden. But I would say that that statement is "*******". My bike offers me no additional assistance when hill climbing, nor when laden. The only time I sense a bit more help is when I pull off (on a hill).

To get it to respond the amount of pressure required as I said means I have to stand up on the pedals and use all my weight. And then in Assist level 5 it responds. But I expect it to respond when I push down a little harder when I'm riding along in Assist level 3. If I ride it in Assist level 5 that means the battery level goes down rapidly - which again negates the whole point of the Torque sensor, which is supposed to deliver increased battery range.

My situation is now that in my view the Torque Power pack is definitely not worth the extra money. I shouldn't have to put down that amount of pressure to get a response.. The Wisper with a Cadence sensor is a nice ride. Apparently I can't swap it and apparently I shouldn't be using the throttle that much. Renders the bike somewhat useless. Which, when you have spent £2k on it is rather galling.
The Torque Sensor on your bike isn’t working as it should. Please ask your supplier to contact Adrian in support, we will help them resolve the problem.

All the best, David

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Torque Sensor on your bike isn’t working as it should. Please ask your supplier to contact Adrian in support, we will help them resolve the problem.

All the best, David
I'm now thinking that I was probably wrong when I assumed that OP was pedalling up the hill while using the throttle.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
A properly set up torque sensing bike is a pleasure to rind. My TSDZ2 is just like riding normally with more powerful legs for want of a betted description.

With the TSDZ2 you should have nothing on the pedals when you turn it on as it self calibrates the torque sensor on every boot up, don't know if OP's is similar?.

Either way it doesn't sound right.

Advertisers