Totally OT - Biker jailed for doing 122mph

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Nah you'd be safe 2 fields away. The armco would slice said "idiot" up and slow him down. And meteorites go way faster than 120.......plus an idiot would be able to get on one. Even if he had a hayabusa. Or Ezee Torq.
Don't be too sure - look at this

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see in the Charging Post that research has shown that motorcycling improves the brain function over those who don't. Since our 122 mph hero has been riding for many years, perhaps the judge should have taken up motorcycling a few years ago. :D

Charging Post Link

Last edited:

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Speed Limits

I think you will find that a national speed limit of 70mph on all unrestricted roads was introduced in 1965.
In 1973/4 this was changed to 70mph on motorways, 60mph on dual carriageway and 50mph on single carriageway roads.
The limits were subsequently raised about 10 years later to 70mph on motorways and dual carriageway roads, and 60mph on single carriageway roads - except for vans, where the 1974 limits still apply.

Speed and safety depend on the conditions - how many times do you see idiots in built up areas driving at 30mph in thick fog on wet roads because the limit is 30mph, so that is the speed they go. A lot more dangerous than 120mph on open road, little traffic and good road and weather conditions.

Colin

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I see in the Charging Post that research has shown that motorcycling improves the brain function over those who don't. Since our 122 mph hero has been riding for many years, perhaps the judge should have taken up motorcycling a few years ago. :D

Charging Post Link
Motorbikes are also supposedly the most dangerous form of transport on the road, so it cant be improving brain function that much can it! (unless there wasnt any there to begin with) :eek: :D

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Motorbikes are also supposedly the most dangerous form of transport on the road, so it cant be improving brain function that much can it! (unless there wasnt any there to begin with) :eek: :D
The death rate is certainly proportionally the highest, but I remember the police saying that 65% of the motorcycling fatalities in collisions were due to car driver error, which rather changes the picture.

That said, I think my brain is present :confused: and I managed 55 years of motorcycling without ever coming off on the road, so it can't be that dangerous given an adequate rider.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
... I think my brain is present :confused:
I think its fair to say that 99.999% of the populace of this stimulating, informative and amusing forum are more than thankful for that :D

Advertisers