touring with my kalkhoff endeavour s10

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Had my bike now nearly two years, and have had some great tours with it. My main concern was the the distance with 350w motor,even with 17a battery.but I am relieved to say my fears have been misplaced. I was achieving around 60-65 miles on mixed terrain, although for comfort reasons I usually do about 40-45 miles fully loaded with camping equipment. I also find I never have a problem charging my battery at the campsites, the wardens are very accomodating.Just back from a 65 mile trip from my home in Glasgow to killin, where I stayed in killin hotel £16 including full breakfast through booking.com, its going to end up cheaper than camping.

Reactions: Tim

JohnArran

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2015
Hi

Hope this is not too cheeky a question but how do you deal with the legalities of 350w?

I'm interested in a 350w but find the issue of legal requirements a problem.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You don’t. It is technically possible to register a bike which has a 350W motor, but in practise it’s time consuming and very difficult, and only two people have done it and posted about it. The bike has to be made effectively into an e moped. The S pedelec class is not going to be allowed in the UK anytime soon and with that you are constrained in how and where you can use it.

So the choice is stick to a 250W which is a purely nominal figure, and in practise will be much more powerful than that or use it illegally. Many do and get away with it. But no one knows whether the police will start taking more of an interest in overpowered bikes as pedelecs become more popular and visible. So it has to be a risk even if it seems like a small one.

You can buy kits which have 350W motors which say 250W on them BTW. As no one is going to run an electrical check in most normal circumstances they are sort of legal as far as I know.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Had my bike now nearly two years, and have had some great tours with it. My main concern was the the distance with 350w motor,even with 17a battery.but I am relieved to say my fears have been misplaced. I was achieving around 60-65 miles on mixed terrain, although for comfort reasons I usually do about 40-45 miles fully loaded with camping equipment. I also find I never have a problem charging my battery at the campsites, the wardens are very accomodating.Just back from a 65 mile trip from my home in Glasgow to killin, where I stayed in killin hotel £16 including full breakfast through booking.com, its going to end up cheaper than camping.
This section of the forum is designed for those who wish to discuss using S-class bikes and such illegals on private land use only.
I assume your bike is a S-class bike,350 watt x 28 mph cutoff speed.
Would you kindly answer the following questions..
1. What was attractive about using an S-class bike over a normal 250 watt x 15,5mph e-bike?
2. If say 750 watt was available would that have been more attractive?
3. If the bike was legal at say 750 watt but still restricted at 15,5 mph would that be attractive?
4. Does the illegality of the bike cause you any concern?
5. If you had an accident in the bike which resulted in a prosecution would you accept all the responsibity of the decision to use an illegal bike on the road or would you fully/ partially blame the seller for selling you an illegal bike?
6. Did the seller fully explain the legality/illegality aspects of the bike and limitations of its use.
7. Would it be a big restriction if you could only use the bike on the highway,no bridle ways or promenade use?
I only ask these questions because it may be possible to use the latest light moped classification to build an up to 1000 watt e-bike but it would still be restricted to 15,5 mph cutoff speed and highway use only.
KudosDave

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
This section of the forum is designed for those who wish to discuss using S-class bikes and such illegals on private land use only.
I assume your bike is a S-class bike,350 watt x 28 mph cutoff speed.
Would you kindly answer the following questions..
1. What was attractive about using an S-class bike over a normal 250 watt x 15,5mph e-bike?
2. If say 750 watt was available would that have been more attractive?
3. If the bike was legal at say 750 watt but still restricted at 15,5 mph would that be attractive?
4. Does the illegality of the bike cause you any concern?
5. If you had an accident in the bike which resulted in a prosecution would you accept all the responsibity of the decision to use an illegal bike on the road or would you fully/ partially blame the seller for selling you an illegal bike?
6. Did the seller fully explain the legality/illegality aspects of the bike and limitations of its use.
7. Would it be a big restriction if you could only use the bike on the highway,no bridle ways or promenade use?
I only ask these questions because it may be possible to use the latest light moped classification to build an up to 1000 watt e-bike but it would still be restricted to 15,5 mph cutoff speed and highway use only.
KudosDave
Are you Col in disguise?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Seems like he’s just doing some market research.

Perhaps you should put up a poll KD?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
"3. If the bike was legal at say 750 watt but still restricted at 15,5 mph would that be attractive?"

Yes if you live in a hilly region like me. These new high power pedelecs will be game changers for people with hills and also for delivery bikes. Just make sure that the power cuts out gradually say from 25 kph to 26.5 kph (within the legal tolerance of 10%). It is a pain to see the power starting to cut out at under 24 kph and not having any left at 24.8 kph. Hell, we paid for it to go to the legal limit!

And we will need lots of Wh so no silly little batteries please.

Advertisers