Tuning and warranties....

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering how, and by what means a bike shop can determine whether you have fitted a dongle in the bikes history like a Speedbox 2 which is a plug'n'go device and could be removed if the bike had to go in for any work that may arise through a warranty claim??

I'm new to pedelecs, so new in fact the bike I bought at the end of November is still in a box delivered to my mums house while I'm with her in sunny Tenerife (brother looking after the dog and took delivery of the KTM) until Tuesday!

I'm just wondering about getting a Speedbox2 after looking around online- I like the idea it defaults to 25kmph and can be set at that so on road fine, but as most of the usage will be off road where I live I'd like some extra oomph.....

But as it's a new bike should I wait 2 years? Gawd.....

(It really didn't help being here and getting a shot on a friends Bultaco Brinco.... proper throttle and insanely fast it's 3200W....then he said do I want to try it off "Eco" and in "sport".....holy jesus, incredible and really it's an electric motorcycle!! Now I'm gonna go "meh" when I get on mine.....!!!)

Reactions: Carlbiker

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
The guy takes his son to school on the modified seat (major pain in the way for me!).... what a machine though....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you get a badass dongle then its a 2 sec job to remove it but the display will show half speed so 15mph will be 30 ;)

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
So in effect that system is tricking the sensor into halving the wheel rotations to double the speed? I guess that means no interference with the motor so not provable that it's been tuned??

Reactions: Carlbiker

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no proof of a dongle being used has ever been proven even bosch cant tell with a full motor test that had been done on a motor with a full written report.

the dongle is a small electromagnet powerd buy a batt that goes over the speed sensor so no wiring up to the motor needed.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id say its about 8-9kg as the hole bike is 40kg problem is at max speed distance will be 10-15 miles

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Cheers for that link Deus- reckon at 39kg that 1.5kg is a typo, probably 15kg!!! so in sport it's 2000w output....(wonder how that power to weight output equates to say, an unrestricted 2 stroke DT125LC of my youth?)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
as most of the usage will be off road where I live I'd like some extra oomph.....
Try a dongle by all means, but all it does is raise the cut off speed - there is no extra oomph.

You should also be aware using a dongled bike 'off road' is just as illegal.

Some indication the authorities are a bit more alive to illegal bikes than they were even a few years ago.

A dongled Bosch bike is reasonably subtle, so I think it's unlikely you will be nicked for riding it responsibly.

There could be problems if you crash and injure a person or property.

Even if the crash is not your fault, having a dongle puts you on the back foot straight away.

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Yeah It's as bad as the airgun laws we have in Scotland LOL..... But where I live I can go for a 3 hour walk most days and not see a bloody soul....I get the litigation angle of a collision but realistically this is unlikely to happen for the places I have in mind. Just don't go tearing around blind corners etc- ie no different than a standard MTB and have some respect for all other users of paths etc...And a Speedbox has a default to 25kmph so on the road just set it to this and deal with it!!! I won't have mirrors so what would be the point risking 50kmph uphill into a headwind and the rozzers pulling alongside!! By extra "oomph" I mean not shutting down at 25, then making you realise you are on a heavy beast....

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you get a section one fire arms licence you can buy 50cals and machine guns ;)

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
What’s the difference between this and the speedbox 3.0? Also what was the chat about regarding a battery?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the speed box will display the correct speed on the display where as the bad ass dongle will be halved but both do the same thing and remove the speed limit.

one problem with the dongles wired to the motor is if you have a firmware upgrade to the software it could stop the dongle working.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I see the 2020 Gen 4 has been hacked already by Speedbox... but it has some bizarre thing :
"If you have a Bosch E Bike engine of the 4th generation (from year of manufacture 2020), you must leave the E Bike switched on after the ride is finished until the display shows a constant speed of 0.0 km/h. Within this time the display will show the remaining time in minutes. After that the E Bike can be parked."
Wonder if it freezes/locks up if you ignore this?!!

Advertisers