Tyre choice on the 905se

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I need to order some tyres soon, I do high mileage across some very poor surfaces so I'm expecting a tyre to last about between 2 and 3 months.
The tyre supplied with the 905 has a maximum pressure rating of 60psi (4 bar) and I would like to replace it with a hybrid tyre rated at 80psi (5.5 bar). Now I understand some narrow rims with wide tyres can't take this much pressure, is there any guide to what the rims on the 905 can cope with?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
After looking at the damage that the poor quality London roads can cause I've decided not to go for higher pressure, do balloon tyres fit?

John Fleet

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2007
Whitley Bay
Tyres and tubes for the 905SE

Anticipating the inevitable, I'm looking to purchase a couple of spare inner tubes. Can anyone confirm the size that I require please? (you might expect that information to be in the owner manual, but it's not).

Also any recommendations of suitable puncture resistant tyres for the bike?

Has anyone actually managed to fit replacement tyres to the back wheel - ie figured out how to actually remove the wheel?

Thanks

John

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Anticipating the inevitable, I'm looking to purchase a couple of spare inner tubes. Can anyone confirm the size that I require please? (you might expect that information to be in the owner manual, but it's not).

Also any recommendations of suitable puncture resistant tyres for the bike?

Has anyone actually managed to fit replacement tyres to the back wheel - ie figured out how to actually remove the wheel?
I have a 905SE. I got these Continental MTB Inner Tubes, which are fine. The size you need is the 26 x 1.3-1.75 with a car type valve.

My rear tyre exploded the other week, so I replaced it with these Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (as recommended by many many people on the forum), again in a size of 26 x 1.75.

Getting the back wheel off is possible, but potentially quite hard work:
  • Loosen the nut on the non-freewheel side of the axle. If you're lucky, you'll be able to push this side of the axle down and out of the drop-out to create a gap big enough to slip the inner tube or tyre through.
  • If you're unlucky (or possibly just stupid in my case!), then you'll need to loosen the nut on the freewheel side of the axle. I couldn't get a spanner to this nut as there was too much stuff in the way, so I had to remove the rear rack, the derailleur, and the metal tubey cage thing (which I assume is there to protect the motor wire) - grr!!!
  • If you do undo the nut on the freewheel side, be careful not to tug the motor wire when you slip the axle out of the drop-out.
  • When you put the axle back into the drop-outs, do NOT run the motor without doing up the nuts good and tight again (another mistake I made) as the axle will leap about in the drop-outs, potentially damaging them and/or the axle, screw threads or nuts :eek:
Regards,

Elephants

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've not found inner tubes to fit properly, the 26"/1.5-2.1 is easy enough but the original Wisper rims need a very long valve stem as attaching a pump becomes difficult. Unfortunately I've not seen anywhere that sells them. :(

I'm running a Continental TravelConti on the back, guaranteed puncture proof but I got one today. :rolleyes:

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
I've not found inner tubes to fit properly, the 26"/1.5-2.1 is easy enough but the original Wisper rims need a very long valve stem as attaching a pump becomes difficult. Unfortunately I've not seen anywhere that sells them.
Hi Mussels,

I've not had any trouble with the Continental MTB Inner Tubes I'm running; the car style valve stem seems plenty long enough and I've had no problem attaching a pump.

Regards,

Elephants

C

Cyclezee

I tried a Continental Travel Contact on the back wheel of a 905se that I used to own. But I do not recommend inflating it to any more than 50psi.
I pumped mine up to 80psi, the maximum pressure these tyres will take, but the cheap rims started to flare outwards due to the pressure from the tyre walls.
Basically if you want a puncture proof Wisper, buy Schwalbe M+ or one of the Continental with the 'Safety System Guarantee', e.g. Touring Plus or Travel Contact, but don't pump them up too hard.

J:) hn

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've managed to fit a Big Apple to the rear wheel this weekend, very tight fit but just works. It is more like a 27" wheel now and only just fits, I still need to modify one of the mudguard brackets as it rubs slightly where the tyre isn't perfectly in line.
Before anyone else attempts this I'd better point out that I don't have a Wisper rim or mudguard so there's no guarantee it will fit anyone else's bike.

Advertisers