Tyre sizes

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Hi,
I'm a bit confused with the sizes of tyres ...my bike is currently on Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 57-584, foldable which are great if all you want to ride dirt trails all the time ,but not so good on tarmac as I would like to do both as my proposed journey would be 3 miles on tarmac to get to Bredbury Pinetum then to tackle some light at first then harder with experience then 3 miles on tarmac for the home journey.

This looks good ....Schwalbe Super Moto-X Performance Wired Tire 27,5 Zoll 62-584,but would it fit.???tyre01.png

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yup, should be ok. It's a tiny bit wider, but I'd assume the nobby nic is measured from the carcass, not the knobbly bits.

You might need better puncture protection though, perhaps the big Apple plus?

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have Schwalbe Hans Dampf and find them ok for both surfaces.
It's what they are designed for.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
I have Schwalbe Hans Dampf and find them ok for both surfaces.
It's what they are designed for.
The Hans Dampf would have a greater rolling resistance / be even less suitable than the Nobby Nic, would it not?

I'd suggest the likes of Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph - pretty good for both tarmac and trail.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Edit: in fact I'm not at all convinced by the Super Moto on dirt trails. As soon as it gets muddy and slippy, I can't imagine you'll have any traction whatsoever. I've never ridden that tyre though, so take my input with a pinch of salt... :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The Hans Dampf would have a greater rolling resistance / be even less suitable than the Nobby Nic, would it not?

I'd suggest the likes of Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph - pretty good for both tarmac and trail.
I can't say there is a greater rolling resistance than the Marathon Deluxe on my other bike. They are much much better in the mud, starting to get noisy at 30 mph, so they would then suffer due to the wind creating eddies in the tread.
I suggest if you wish to go at this and greater speeds, get two bikes.

Advertisers