Upgrading disks question

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Hi all,

I have a Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 400 and whilst I do love it, I'm starting to get a little concerned with the braking power (or lack thereof) due to my weight. It has 160mm rotors which I'm guessing are not ideal given my heavier than usual weight for a bike!

Does anyone happen to know if I can upgrade the brakes on this? It has Shimano BR-M355, Hydr Disc Brake system on it, would I need to also upgrade the system, or would adapters and larger disks be sufficient?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi all,

I have a Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 400 and whilst I do love it, I'm starting to get a little concerned with the braking power (or lack thereof) due to my weight. It has 160mm rotors which I'm guessing are not ideal given my heavier than usual weight for a bike!

Does anyone happen to know if I can upgrade the brakes on this? It has Shimano BR-M355, Hydr Disc Brake system on it, would I need to also upgrade the system, or would adapters and larger disks be sufficient?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Are you sure you need bigger rotors? I'm on the large side and have similar brakes on one of my bikes. While they aren't the best, they are perfectly adequate.

If you insist then you should be OK with adapters (if it IS mount) and bigger rotors. Last time in went from 160 to 203 I just got longer bolts and a few of these, which I cut down to fit:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-a2-stainless-steel-threaded-rod-connecting-nuts-m8-10-pack/5155g?_requestid=53431

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Give the brakes a clean first as they do sometimes accrue dirt and grease from the roads. Put a little drop of fairy liquid or similar on the pad surfaces then rub them together between yours thumb and finger for 10/15 secs wash off with clean water and dry, clean the discs with meths and wipe off excess with clean rag. Refit and test all allowing for things to settle down again should be good after a good few braking tests.
The M355,395,446,525 all use the same pads and a similar caliper just the levers tend to be a bit different so you would have to spend a lot more to get some thing better. A larger disc and adapter will improve braking but only if the components are clean. I have 395,446 and 525 on my bikes and they all work very well and all so only need to carry/use the same pads on/for all.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The front brake does 70+% of the braking so you only really need to upgrade the disc on this one if needed but make sure first that it won't rub or cause an issue with the fork, cut out a cardboard disc 180 or 203mm and see.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can get a 203mm rotor an adapter on Ebay for not too much. Try one to see if it does the job. If not, then upgrade the caliper and lever. I think that the rotor will be enough.

Slimjim

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Doncaster
There are various pad materials that have higher friction factor, might be worth a try after you've cleaned the current set up, and before spending money on a larger disc etc. They tend to wear out more quickly though....

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I also have a Cube and not a lightweight rider ;) both front & rear brakes will stop the wheels from turning and the front could easily put you over the bars :oops:
The only time I thought them lacking was by accidentally operating the leavers whilst I the bike was upside down :mad: this put air in the system and made the brakes a little vague. After bleeding they were as good as new :cool:

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Hi all,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended upgrading to a 203mm disk and the improvement is just what I was after.. I can stop now! :D. Next up.. Tyres :)

Thanks again,
Dan

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Dan, did you have to modify the caliper mount position to cater for the larger disc, and if so how?
Hi Tomme,

I had to get a post to post mount to allow for the fitting, but that was it. Really straight forward :). Are you in the process of doing the same thing?

D

Deleted member 4366

Change from a cable brake to a hydraulic one before thinking about disc size. The cost is about the same if you buy a used one from Ebay. It's also easier to fit and performance will be better.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Going from a 160mm rotor to a 180mm one upgraded the stopping power on my Rose by enough, but not too much.

It has Magura hydraulics which I regard as inferior to the Shimano hydraulics on my push bike.

Fairly simple job, two longer bolts and a couple of spacers are the only bits needed, apart from the rotor.

There are a couple of different types of rotor mounts.

My Rose had an adaptor to mount the Magura rotor which wasn't needed to mount the Shimano one.

Cable discs are almost all rubbish, were I upgrading one of those I would go for Shimano hydraulics.

Advertisers