Vengeance battery not charging

Baraca

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2021
Hi guys I'll preface this with the fact that I have no idea about electrics and am a complete noob. My vengeance e bike was sitting up for about 3 months because I broke the charger. I recieved a new charger today. When I plug the charger into the battery the light stays green and the battery does not charge.

When I press the button on the battery the lights do light up but then go off again. I've read that the battery may be after going below a certain level and won't charge now. Is the battery fixable? Or should I just buy a new one? Where do I get a new one if so? Can't find them amywhere

Thanks so much for your help

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
There are things you can test: i.e. what is the battery voltage? If it's too low, the battery has a lower limit below which it won't charge. There are posts on this forum that explain how you can open it up to test individual cell-strings and correct those strings/cells that might be too low. You'd need a basic multi-meter and know how to use it.

If that's too difficult, Halfords sell replacement new batteries. It depends on the age of your bike as to which model of battery you need, but they're here:

Electric Bike Chargers & Accessories | Halfords UK

Sometimes you can find the same battery on ebay - usually from Europe, but that might be difficult/costly/take a long time importing now since Brexit.

Then there's ebike batteries whose adds appear on this site: Well reputed. He can re-cell your old battery with new cells of your choosing. He also sells suitable chargers which - he says - can often recover batteries which have discharged too far. He advertises these on ebay under the trading name of insat.

Last edited:

Baraca

Mar 12, 2021
There are things you can test: i.e. what is the battery voltage? If it's too low, the battery has a lower limit below which it won't charge. There are posts on this forum that explain how you can open it up to test individual cell-strings and correct those strings/cells that might be too low. You'd need a basic multi-meter and know how to use it.

If that's too difficult, Halfords sell replacement new batteries. It depends on the age of your bike as to which model of battery you need, but they're here:

Sometimes you can find the same battery on ebay - usually from Europe, but that might be difficult/costly/take a long time importing now since Brexit.

Then there's ebike batteries whose adds appear on this site: Well reputed. He can re-cell your old battery with new cells of your choosing. He also sells suitable chargers which - he says - can often recover batteries which have discharged too far. He advertises these on ebay under the trading name of insat.
Thanks for the reply. Have you a link to the eBay store I can't find the seller? I have a couple of electrician friends who have multi meters I could borrow to check the voltage of the battery so I'll have a look for the posts explaining that on here now thanks.

I've contacted Halfords about a new battery and I'm waiting for a reply but I imagine it will be at least 400 euro so I'd really like to bring this one back to life if possible

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I've contacted Halfords about a new battery and I'm waiting for a reply but I imagine it will be at least 400 euro so I'd really like to bring this one back to life if possible
Sorry, I just realised I posted the wrong Halfords battery link above. I've corrected that now. The link now shows the two options towards the bottom of that page - they're both £385.

Baraca

Mar 12, 2021
Hi guys 450 euro for a new battery from Halfords here in Ireland. Are their any 3rd party batteries I could buy and fit that would be cheaper? I see a few after a quick search for around 250. If it's not worth the hassle I'll just pay halfords for the new one.

Baraca

Mar 12, 2021
I've attached a photo showing the cables coming from the controller there are 5 in total

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Are their any 3rd party batteries I could buy and fit that would be cheaper?
A picture of your battery would be more helpful. The pre-2019 and post-2019 Vengeance used different batteries - different styles from different manufacturers. Some Carrera bikes use comms from the battery, others don't. If the earlier Phylion/Joycube battery type, the trick is to see whether the centre 4 of the 6 pins have any metal contacts. The outer two pins are + and - voltage. If there are centre pins visible/connected it likely uses comms, and being able to use a 3rd party battery is doubtful (although Phylion/Joycube batteries labelled "with Smart BMS" intended for other makers' bikes will probably work okay).

If the later post-2019 battery type, I think some recent Raleigh bikes (not the Bosch-drive ones) use the same/a similar battery style that may work - if you can source one more cheaply than Halfords own. But I'm not certain of that.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Send the battery to a verified receller on here and let them fix it for you. Saves you trying to wire 4 X 12V batteries together and using them to re-invigirate your battery.

Baraca

Mar 12, 2021
Hi lads well my battery can't be repaired according to a few people I have been in touch with and Halfords can't get me a new one because they are absolutely hopeless. So now I have a bike that is useless to me so I'm considering either just taking the motor off and converting it to a normal bike or buying a whole new conversion kit online and going that way. That is what I would prefer to do.

Would it be possible to fit a new kit to the bike? And if so could people recommend one to me there are a lot out there. Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The motor is very good. You can keep that. I'm not sure that a normal motor would fit anyway. That means that you'd need a new battery, controller, LCD, pedal sensor and throttle. For some controllers you'd need brake sensors too. Apart from the wiring and installation work, you'd have to cut your present motor cable and solder the wires to the new controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you know exactly what is wrong with the battery and why it is unrepairable ?
If it is due to duff cells then fair enough.
If it is due to just imbalance, one /two slightly low cell groups or duff BMS then both could be remedied and the battery could then be used with any generic controller kit and keep the hub motor, some soldering/wiring is al that is required skills wise and use of a simple meter for checking voltages.

Baraca

Mar 12, 2021
The motor is very good. You can keep that. I'm not sure that a normal motor would fit anyway. That means that you'd need a new battery, controller, LCD, pedal sensor and throttle. For some controllers you'd need brake sensors too. Apart from the wiring and installation work, you'd have to cut your present motor cable and solder the wires to the new controller.
Yeah the motor is fine so will keep that. For a battery this seems fine and Yose power seem to be well regarded? It's 36V same as my last battery.

Having a bit of trouble finding a controller. Would be cool if I could find a controller kit that came with a display pedal sensor and throttle? Are there any that are recommended on here often?

If I could get recommendations for what to buy I'll figure the rest out myself with YouTube and friends.

Thanks very much

Baraca

Mar 12, 2021
Do you know exactly what is wrong with the battery and why it is unrepairable ?
If it is due to duff cells then fair enough.
If it is due to just imbalance, one /two slightly low cell groups or duff BMS then both could be remedied and the battery could then be used with any generic controller kit and keep the hub motor, some soldering/wiring is al that is required skills wise and use of a simple meter for checking voltages.
Tbh I'm just sick of the sight of the thing. Three places have told me they can't rebuild it and the charging port isn't in the best shape either. Plus I've always wanted a bit more power so a new controller and battery could provide that?

It will be a nice learning experience as well as I don't really know a whole lot about how my bike works and would like to change that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh I'm just sick of the sight of the thing. Three places have told me they can't rebuild it and the charging port isn't in the best shape either. Plus I've always wanted a bit more power so a new controller and battery could provide that?

It will be a nice learning experience as well as I don't really know a whole lot about how my bike works and would like to change that.
It may not be able to be repaired as is because of the comm's it may support, but it may be possible to repair and use as a battery for any old generic controller.
It may still have some value in the cells it holds.

Though fed up with the battery you could with our help open it and use it for experience in minor battery repair, simply taking a few voltage measurements your self could be useful and add a bit more ebike learning knowledge to the experience.

For instance if the cells were to be found ok, a new generic BMS is under £20 and a new charging port is a quid or so. A bit of soldering and Bob's your uncle you could have spare or reserve battery capacity, mount the cradle on a rear rack and you have extra range for adventures.

Last edited:

Baraca

Mar 12, 2021
The best controller kit to get is KT with LCD3 or if discreet/compact lcd is preferred a slimline LCD4. Buy a complete kit from Topbikekit select the controller type ,size wise (current/mosfets) & wiring type, then just select the matching items needed from the drop down boxes on the same page.

ebike controller,electric bike controller,Sine Wave Controller,24v,36v,48v controller (topbikekit.com)
Is this one suitable? I'm not sure of the difference between 8PAS and 12PAS

So that kit and the battery I posted and I'm good to go?

Baraca

Mar 12, 2021
Hi lads can someone confirm that these parts are what I need to do this. I realise I'll have to change the crankset and chainring also as the PAS won't fit on the Carrera one. Just need some conformation on the parts before I drop a large amount of money (to me) on them.

I also seen this, Battery with built in controller? Seems to me like this would be much easier as I wouldn't have to find somewhere to mount the controller?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I also seen this, Battery with built in controller? Seems to me like this would be much easier as I wouldn't have to find somewhere to mount the controller?

Just in case you don't know, when you've selected all the things to go with the controller, it comes to $294 plus $90 shipping, then about £50 duty if you're unlucky, so about £330 altogether.

Advertisers