Viking MT Tobin controller problem

Cheekyink

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2020
The throttles always work independently from the pedal sensor, and are optional. Try pedalling backwards to see if that works.

It's possible that you've bought the wrong control panel. Which one did you have before?
I bought a control panel and controller together so they should work, having read all the previous posts it seems the original Viking MT Tobin controller is not available and has to be replaced with one of these http://www.topbikekit.com/10s13s14s-36v48v-6mosfets-sine-wave-controller-for-hailong-case-52pcs-cells-p-695.html which means changing everything else to match

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I bought a control panel and controller together so they should work, having read all the previous posts it seems the original Viking MT Tobin controller is not available and has to be replaced with one of these http://www.topbikekit.com/10s13s14s-36v48v-6mosfets-sine-wave-controller-for-hailong-case-52pcs-cells-p-695.html which means changing everything else to match
OK, it should work then. The only problem is that the LED control panel doesn't give access to all the settings you need. You might have the wrong PAS signal pattern selected or it could be switched off altogether. There's no way of knowing without the LCD.

Cheekyink

Jun 20, 2020
OK, it should work then. The only problem is that the LED control panel doesn't give access to all the settings you need. You might have the wrong PAS signal pattern selected or it could be switched off altogether. There's no way of knowing without the LCD.
Hi I bought this display http://www.topbikekit.com/ktled900s-display-meter-24v36v48v-for-electric-bicycle-p-691.html

I have to say that as a Motorcycle mechanic with 40 years experience with Honda, Ducati, Triumph and Harley certificates it has been a challenge to try and fix my mates Viking MT Tobin with nothing but advice from forums and videos on youtube

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi I bought this display http://www.topbikekit.com/ktled900s-display-meter-24v36v48v-for-electric-bicycle-p-691.html

I have to say that as a Motorcycle mechanic with 40 years experience with Honda, Ducati, Triumph and Harley certificates it has been a challenge to try and fix my mates Viking MT Tobin with nothing but advice from forums and videos on youtube
These controllers have loads of settings in them for everything. If you don't set them right, things don't work. You can only change them with an LCD. This will explain about the settings:

Cheekyink

Jun 20, 2020
Having purchased these

http://www.topbikekit.com/10s13s14s-36v48v-6mosfets-sine-wave-controller-for-hailong-case-52pcs-cells-p-695.html

The display switched on and gave me battery level and I could adjust the power level but when I pedal I got no speed display or power assist I am thinking of buying this PAS to finish the job

The original PAS looks like this one

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Having purchased these

http://www.topbikekit.com/10s13s14s-36v48v-6mosfets-sine-wave-controller-for-hailong-case-52pcs-cells-p-695.html

The display switched on and gave me battery level and I could adjust the power level but when I pedal I got no speed display or power assist I am thinking of buying this PAS to finish the job

The original PAS looks like this one
If you want to buy anything, get an LCD. If your PAS is switched off in the settings, an LCD is the only thing that will help you.

There is probably some way into the settings using your 900S. Look at this manual and see if the method works on yours.

Cheekyink

Jun 20, 2020
If you want to buy anything, get an LCD. If your PAS is switched off in the settings, an LCD is the only thing that will help you.

There is probably some way into the settings using your 900S. Look at this manual and see if the method works on yours.
The 900s is quoted as having with multi-function parameter self-setting function, it seems very hard to find any useful info, surely the Hailong 1 controller has a default PAS that if I fit to the bike it will work ? at the moment I have 8 pole PAS on the right crank so I thought if I fit the KT-V12L to the left crank it would be easier and be configured to work with the Hailong 1 controller, are you sure the parameters arent just to alter the display and not alter the function of the controller

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When you buy from Chinese re-sellers, their stock is often surplus parts that are left over after a production run of OEM bikes, so they're set-up specifically for those bikes. Every time someone buys one, they seem to be setup differently. With the LCD, you can reset it any way you want.

Before getting a LCD, see if you can check that your PAS is actually working. it's very tricky with those integrated controllers because you need a battery supply connected. If you can get it connected to some battery voltage while open, switch on and measure between where the PAS signal wire is soldered and ground, then turn the pedals to see if it pulses with 5v.

Cheekyink

Jun 20, 2020
When you buy from Chinese re-sellers, their stock is often surplus parts that are left over after a production run of OEM bikes, so they're set-up specifically for those bikes. Every time someone buys one, they seem to be setup differently. With the LCD, you can reset it any way you want.

Before getting a LCD, see if you can check that your PAS is actually working. it's very tricky with those integrated controllers because you need a battery supply connected. If you can get it connected to some battery voltage while open, switch on and measure between where the PAS signal wire is soldered and ground, then turn the pedals to see if it pulses with 5v.
I will try to test the PAS, the controller should work with 8 pole PAS, so it may be faulty, its the only part I haven't changed why aren't there any instructions to adjust controller parameters only to adjust display parameters

Cheekyink

Jun 20, 2020
I also note that the KT-V12L PAS states that you need to adjust the parameter to 6 or 7 but with the 8 pole PAS it makes no mention of adjusting parameters so I assumed it was just plug and play. Have you ever worked on a bike with one of these controllers ?

Cheekyink

Jun 20, 2020
OK so trying to make sense of the manual you sent would I be right in assuming that C1 needs to be set to either 00,01 or 02 for the 8 pulse PAS that I have fitted and could you suggest default settings for the rest

Cheekyink

Jun 20, 2020
OK I have tested the PAS at the wires on the controller and I am getting pulses

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
OK so trying to make sense of the manual you sent would I be right in assuming that C1 needs to be set to either 00,01 or 02 for the 8 pulse PAS that I have fitted and could you suggest default settings for the rest
Yes.

Another potential problem you might have is the motor connection sequence, which is difficult to test without a throttle, but here's how you can do it. On the throttle connector, try touching the red to the signal wire, which is the equivalent of a full throttle signal. The wheel should spin. If it doesn't, listen out for a tick, hum or knock noise, or see if the motor kicks or does anything else weird. If it does any of that, it's a sign that the motor has a faulty connection, has the wrong connection sequence or is faulty itself. If it spins nicely, you know you only have to sort out the PAS.

Cheekyink

Jun 20, 2020
A rather inconclusive test, a few times the wheel moved slowly for about 1 second and then stopped but it was very intermittent, until eventually I could no longer get the wheel to move no matter how many times I joined the 2 wires together. I would say after trying it about 20 times it only jerked about 6 and now I cant get it to do it again.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are three phase wires and three hall signal wires. That makes 36 combinations, of which three will give the correct forward motion and three backwards.

With sealed connectors, the only way to test the combinations is to cut the motor wire and rejoin all the conductors in the different sequences, which is a lot of work.

Before trying the different combinations, you need to eliminate the possibilities that a hall sensor is faulty by doing a hall sensor test, and that the cable isn't faulty or damaged. Think back to how your system failed. They don't break by themselves while parked in the garage. The circumstances of its failure will give you a clue where to look.

Likewise, testing hall sensors with sealed connectors is tricky. You can sometimes get at the solder joints on the controller pcb to test.

Too late now, but for anybody else that reads, it's always better to get a controller with block connectors and stick it in a bag under the saddle. All testing then becomes dead easy. It's not as neat as the integrated battery controllers, but a heck of a lot more convenient when things don't work.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Jobey

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2022
Would this be the right place to seek help with my Viking Tobin? I seem to be having an issue that is getting worse with each week, it seems not to want to wake from sleep mode from what I can tell, after a charge I will get a flicker from the display when hitting the power button and then nothing, when pressing the button on the battery itself I will get no display or power level and yet after a few hours if I try again it seems to turn on (well some of the time). Is this a common issue that I can fix or is this more a critical failure on the battery?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Has your bike display seen any rain or been left out in the rain ?

Also have you taken a voltage reading from the battery ?

Jobey

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2022
Took a reading of the battery and seems normal and yes it has seen a fair bit of rain and is left outside now and again but once I get it to switch on after that first bout of silly buggers it will turn on fine even after a night outside in the cold and rain. The main trouble seems to be after either I charge the battery or it's been idle for more than a few days and then it just won't switch on without a long drawn out fight with pressing and holding the power check button and power on switch on the display

Advertisers