Viking MT Tobin controller problem

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Hello.

My Viking MT Tobin has got some fault. IT is out of warranty and I would like to know if it is the controller or the motor?

The handlebar control panel flashes one light at top and 3 lights at the bottom mostly

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If your bike only has a basic LED panel, then the flashing lights could be indicating a fault in the system. Make sure the battery is charged and check it's connectors are clean and tight. Check the other connectors for water ingress as this can be a common problem. If you have a throttle fitted to the bike, disconnect it and see if the bike works with the PAS. Also disconnect the brake cut offs, if fitted. Post a photo of your control panel, this will help identify which system your bike has.

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
There is no throttle its magnet driven with sensors. The shop looked at the connectors and said looked like water was in the controller but there are no parts on eBay or anything to buy. The battery is perfectly OK and charged.
Thanks

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Yes it is base of battery holder. IF you Google Viking MT Tobin you will, of course, see it. Thing is that I am in UK.

THanks very much

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think you will struggle to find a seller in the US with this type of controller, but by all means look for yourself if you prefer. Many here in the UK buy our parts direct from China and generally the deal goes OK. Where ever you buy, I would recommend you also get new pedal sensor, brake levers and throttle if required, from the same seller, as the connectors may differ with your existing ones. The whole kit from the link I mentioned in #5 is around £100 with postage.

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Hello. I bought one of these but the middle cable was too large for the original cable. Do you know if you can get cable adapters so I can fit the two cables together?

Also should the handlebar display work without this cable as still it is not showing any signs of life with the new controller?

Thanks

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The cable you have arrowed is the screen/handle bar display connection, it carries the power and comm's from the controller, so reason why you have no display info.

Show us a pic of your old controller and display cable connector.

You need the old connector/cable from your old controller and need to do either of two options.
1. Cut the end plug (old) off with plenty wire length and solder join the old connector/wires to correct colour wires on the new controller.
2. Unsolder both cables noting their position on the PCB (take pics) and swap them over soldering old cable to new controller PCB.

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
OK thanks for that . I only bought the controller. Please see pictures earlier in this thread of my handlebar display and the old controller

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
OK, I did try to warn you of this kind of problem in post #11. It may be easier for you to order the rest of the kit so you can be certain it will all fit together.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Before cutting any cables/wiring 100% make sure all items are from the same manufacturer, will probably be either Kuenteng (KT) or Luishi one isn't compatible with the other as some functions may or may not work. The name should be on rear of display and on controller label.

If not wanting to solder wires direct to PCB as replacement I would be inclined to solder and insulate wires still within the controller housing if possible for neatness and weather proofing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quantums

Advertisers