Wanted someone in england to wire up my ca3

doggydowg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 9, 2014
Hello

I've recently bought an ebike it has a 24fet green time controller with a cycle analyst plug installed.

I've bought a cycle analyst 3 and it reads all of the signals like voltage and speed etc.

The throttle was wired directly into the green time xontroller , I've had a plug fitted to my throttle so it goes straight into the cycle analyst.

The ca reads throttle in and out but the hub is not getting any power.

I've tried reading up about chopping green signal wires etc but tbh it might as well be in Spanish.

If anyone is capable of wiring my throttle through my ca so I can make use of the limiting ability's and slow this death trap down I'll gladly pay for your time.

Send me a message I'm based in England Portsmouth and can bring the bike to you. Thanks.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hello

I've recently bought an ebike it has a 24fet green time controller with a cycle analyst plug installed.

I've bought a cycle analyst 3 and it reads all of the signals like voltage and speed etc.

The throttle was wired directly into the green time xontroller , I've had a plug fitted to my throttle so it goes straight into the cycle analyst.

I've tried reading up about chopping green signal wires etc but tbh it might as well be in Spanish.

If anyone is capable of wiring my throttle through my ca so I can make use of the limiting ability's and slow this death trap down I'll gladly pay for your time.

Send me a message I'm based in England Portsmouth and can bring the bike to you. Thanks.
As Cyclezee says in the other thread, try posting your questions on Endless Sphere. Not many members on here have a great deal of experience with the CA V3.

There are more members over there, that connect these displays to monster power controllers and motors.

Not read through, but might be a few snippets of info here:

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-analyst-3.html

Stick around here though. You never know, someone might come up with the solution.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hello

I reckon the parameters you need to be looking at to match your throttle are:
  • SETUP THROT IN
  • SETUP THROT OUT
If any of those settings are out of kilter, then the controller won't be receiving the correct signal it needs to work.

At least you know the controller and motor is functioning, as you've tested the bike with the throttle wired directly.

Shame I'm at the wrong end of the country, or I would take a look for you :(

doggydowg

Nov 9, 2014
I've followed the throttle in and out set up as per the manual, I've put a multi meter on the green plug at the big cadp plug and got the same throttle out readings that are shown on the ca screen.

The signal is getting past along its just something needs sorting out at the controller end and this is the probl

I've come across lots of threads saying swap green wires over and I did try this but to no avail, although I didn't try all the different throttle settings when I done it so might try that tomorrow.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've followed the throttle in and out set up as per the manual, I've put a multi meter on the green plug at the big cadp plug and got the same throttle out readings that are shown on the ca screen.

The signal is getting past along its just something needs sorting out at the controller end and this is the probl

I've come across lots of threads saying swap green wires over and I did try this but to no avail, although I didn't try all the different throttle settings when I done it so might try that tomorrow.
Well that's good news you're getting a signal from the CA-DP plug.

It's worth contacting the vendor, to see if you can get hold of the schematic for the controller wiring, but I should imagine that they all come compatibly wired. Then again, Chinese quality control still isn't what it should be :(

Another thing to look at is the CA-DP plug wiring at the controller circuit board end. I purchased a CA-DP plug ready controller a few years ago, but had problems firing up the CA display.

Turned out that one of the wires, where the CA-DP attaches to the circuit board, hadn't been soldered correctly. A quick blast with my soldering iron sorted it out.

I guess vendors fit the CA-DP plug as an aftermarket fit and..... did I mention Chinese quality control :rolleyes:

doggydowg

Nov 9, 2014
The controller is from China and didn't come wired for ca the previous owner had fitted the wiring. He only used it as a display so didn't take advantage of the limiting functions. I can find details on which wires do what on endless but there's no way I'm soldering on circuit boards I'd end up blowing something up.

doggydowg

Nov 9, 2014
Here is the wiring guide for controller to someone in the know this would all make sense :)

Resistance to Resistance to
thick black thick red Function

Thick wires
Red - 0 Battery +
Yellow 9k24 - Motor phase
Green 9k24 - Motor phase
Blue 9k24 - Motor phase
Black 0 - Battery - / Gnd

5 wire connector
Red - - 5V hall sensor power
Yellow 4k13 - Hall sensor signal
Green 4k13 - Hall sensor signal
Blue 4k13 - Hall sensor signal
Black 0 - Gnd

3 wire connector
Red - - 5V throttle power
Green 10k - Throttle signal
Black 0 - Gnd

2 wire White/Bla
White - - low level brake
Black 0 - Gnd

2 wire Red/Purp
Red - 0 Key switch power (Battery +)
Purple 22k - Key switch input

Single wires
Purple 22k - ?
Green 9k4 - ?
Yellow 24k - high level brake (regen?)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Here is the wiring guide for controller to someone in the know this would all make sense :)

Resistance to Resistance to
thick black thick red Function

Thick wires
Red - 0 Battery +
Yellow 9k24 - Motor phase
Green 9k24 - Motor phase
Blue 9k24 - Motor phase
Black 0 - Battery - / Gnd

5 wire connector
Red - - 5V hall sensor power
Yellow 4k13 - Hall sensor signal
Green 4k13 - Hall sensor signal
Blue 4k13 - Hall sensor signal
Black 0 - Gnd

3 wire connector
Black 0 - Gnd

2 wire White/Bla
White - - low level brake
Black 0 - Gnd

2 wire Red/Purp
Red - 0 Key switch power (Battery +)
Purple 22k - Key switch input

Single wires
Purple 22k - ?
Green 9k4 - ?
Yellow 24k - high level brake (regen?)
You've established that the controller throttle circuit is working, by plugging the throttle directly into the controller and riding the bike. Check!

You've tested the CA-DP throttle signal from the CA display wiring, and got a range of 0-5 volts, rising, as you twist the throttle. Check!

Then in theory, connecting the green wire from the CA-DP plug directly to the green wire on the controller throttle plug, should result in a pass-through of throttle signal.

3 wire connector on controller
Black 0 - Gnd

Connections on CA-DP plug (number 6 for throttle)

CA3_Connectors.gif

I'm assuming the throttle connection will already be grounded, as the CA display is firing up and you tested the throttle signal at the CA-DP plug.

Here's a quote from the manual reference the throttle input:

Throttle Output (ThO):
This is the direct throttle signal from the CA, which can be connected directly to a controller throttle input line. The CA can drive this throttle output as a 0-5V analog range, or as 0-5mS pulses at 55Hz.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Nearly every time we get this, its because someone didn't connect the ignition (keyswitch +) wire to the battery positive. In your case, it looks like you have to connect it to the purple wire. Test between ground and the red wire. If it has battery voltage, it goes to the purple. If it has no voltage, it goes to the battery positive.

Get the bike running first by connecting a throttle directly to the controller's throttle input. Once you know it's working, you can start messing about with the CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: robdon

doggydowg

Nov 9, 2014
Hello Fordulike I've tried wiring green wire straight to green wire that didn't work but thanks.

Hi D8veh

That's intresting I've not come across that solution, the bike was wired up throttle straight to the controller when I bought it so bike already works just not through ca limiting functions.

The purple wire you suggest is it the 2 wire red and purple together or the single purple on its own?

Fingers crossed who ever solves this problem earns them self a beer :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Nearly every time we get this, its because someone didn't connect the ignition (keyswitch +) wire to the battery positive. In your case, it looks like you have to connect it to the purple wire. Test between ground and the red wire. If it has battery voltage, it goes to the purple. If it has no voltage, it goes to the battery positive.

Get the bike running first by connecting a throttle directly to the controller's throttle input. Once you know it's working, you can start messing about with the CA.
This thread was started in the wrong section Dave, so you might have missed out on some key info. Here is the thread from the other section:

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/wanted-someone-in-england-to-wire-up-my-ca3.22852/

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hello Fordulike I've tried wiring green wire straight to green wire that didn't work but thanks.

Hi D8veh

That's intresting I've not come across that solution, the bike was wired up throttle straight to the controller when I bought it so bike already works just not through ca limiting functions.

The purple wire you suggest is it the 2 wire red and purple together or the single purple on its own?

Fingers crossed who ever solves this problem earns them self a beer :)
So on the CA-DP plug you are getting a reading of 5v when connecting the multimeter to the GND (Black) and V+ (Red). Then also a reading, ranging from 0 - 5 volts as you twist the throttle, when you connect the multimeter to the GND (Black) and ThO (Green) ???

Come to think of it, the GND (Black) and V+ (Red) might read the same as battery voltage, then the CA steps down the voltage for the signal to the throttle input on the controller.

Gotta try and get my head around this, so treat any info from me as not gospel.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The way I look at it, and I may be totally wrong, is like this:

CA3_Connectors.gif

The GND (Black) and the V+ (Red) receive the voltage of the battery that is connected to your controller.
The CA circuit board within the display, uses this voltage to display functions like 'battery voltage', but steps down the voltage to 10 volts (Torque/PAS) and 5 volts for the throttle. It then feeds this throttle voltage to the ThO (Green) wire on the CA-DP plug for the controller to utilize. The CA uses its control of the throttle voltage to provide functions such as speed limiting and other fancy functions.

So, if your bike is working with the throttle connected directly to the controller, and you are also seeing a signal from the green wire on the CA-DP plug, that changes with twisting of the throttle (when it is plugged directly into the CA). Then I can't see why connecting the green wires together hasn't worked :(

Last edited:

Advertisers