weirdo situpon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Attractive though the idea might seem at first, I think the logic is faulty.

If the waving parts are providing any support, it follows that they are impeding the leg movement, since that force is exerting a pressure against the movement. Conversely, if they aren't impeding, there is no force so they cannot be providing any support, and therefore they have no purpose.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
saddle

Well, Flecc, does it make sense to think that the arms do impede the downward movement of (say) the right leg, thereby partially supporting the body, which energy is employed in lifting the left leg hence relieving the left pedal from some of the weight it would otherwise need to overcome.

But I feel instinctively that it couldn't work myself I must admit. Surely this constant movement against the thighs would chafe them for one thing. If anyone has read Jerome K Jerome's "Three Men on the Bummel" they will remember Harris' amusing search for the perfect saddle in the eighteen hundreds.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I know what you mean about the arm influence Tony, but that would only be when the arms were in active use and not merely passive as they often are, especially on utility and electric assist bikes, while the leg pedalling forces exist all the time pedalling exists.

It's true that the search for the perfect saddle is age old and has never stopped. More interesting to me is why regular cycling makes one comfortable with long hours in the saddle.

Is it that the skin hardens, the bones toughen, or is it just that our pain sensors give up once they realise no-one's taking any notice. :D

S

stokepa31

looks like someone stole a dinosaur skeleton or is it a rubber xylophone. I agree the science is floored though!

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Is it that the skin hardens, the bones toughen, or is it just that our pain sensors give up once they realise no-one's taking any notice. :D
That's an interesting thought, Flecc. Yonks ago I sailed a small boat rather extensively and after a while I got so that I couldn't stand cushions in the cockpit. I preferred to feel the boat through my backside and something hardened up so that the discomfort completely disappeared.

As for saddles I had a beauty on my Ancient orange Rudge as a teenager. Later I had all sorts of saddles including Brooks both sprung and unsprung, but nothing compared with that first one whose name and make I have stupidly forgotten.

I'm hoping that, since my dimensions are decidedly "Wagnerian" I may find the Aggattu saddle comfortable!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:D
I thought Wagnerian was a suitably discreet way of broaching a potentially sensitive personal matter, but wondered if it's meaning would be universally understood!

Advertisers