Wet weather gear.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
It might be useful for newbies like me to have a general forum rather than having to post in technical.

My question is, how do people keep dry on their way to work? My office has no changing facilities. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Reactions: RevBob

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A waterproof jacket from Decathlon that was on sale, it has zips under the arms so is well ventilated. Bright reflective hood and shoulders.

Pull over rain trousers with built in shoe protection.

Gloves.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I cycle in all temps and weathers with these.
Padded Hi-vis work jacket from Sportsdirect, keeps you very warm and dry for only about £27, also from there some lined Gelert walking waterproof overtrousers for about £15 but I also like my Altura Nightvision jacket and overtrousers too, just cost a bit more.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks all very helpful.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I just ordered some glasses with hydrophobic lenses - am hoping they will enhance my wet-weather riding experience. What stopped me riding the last winter I tried though was poor circulation in my fingers. Will see if I manage any better this year...

lledward

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2018
One thing I know - dry & warm need separate garments. I've a couple of clear plastic rain jackets that have mesh sides & a "sawn-off" £1.99 poncho if needed over the top. Lots of ventilation, cheap, easily replaceable. Various other thin overjackets & ponchos including some that accommodate my rucksack. Cheap softshells too, mix & match. Trousers - all need modifying, or try a "lap-flap" like the French/Italian scooter commuters (where my knackered tent groundsheet ended its days, lapflap on my shopping hack.
When wet, sartorial elegance ceases to exist, & roadspray up your back defeats almost any barrier. I rely on change of clothes.

lledward

Aug 8, 2018
I just ordered some glasses with hydrophobic lenses - am hoping they will enhance my wet-weather riding experience. What stopped me riding the last winter I tried though was poor circulation in my fingers. Will see if I manage any better this year...
Handlebar muffs, bought or cobbled together to try them. Made my bike ones from the reflective stuff off a traffic cone! Helmet that takes a visor might help. I have some goggles that go over my glasses when cold or wet. (£3 Aliexpress!, yellow for foggy/rain, grey for sunny/rain)

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I do have some Karrimor gear I bought cheaply from Sportsdirect. I have some breathable over trousers that seem to work but they are very baggy in the lower leg region. I have a Karrimor jacket that is fairly waterproof but busted the zips on the pockets the first time out on the bike. I need good pockets for my phone, wallet, keys and any other essentials I need to take on a ride. (hip flask, condoms, wet wipes etc) JK

RevBob

Oct 31, 2012
This Chap has it covered Jon;)

Seriously when it is cold and wet, without some warm dry clothes and somewhere to change, it gets to be an issue. Nothing I have ever bought has kept me 100 % dry in torrential rain.

If you have to wear a suit at work and no whwre to change you are on a hiding for nothing, lobby your employer tell them you are saving the planet establish a changing room utilising a portacabin in the car park. Might encourage more to cycle to work.

Attachments

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Cheers Bob, fancy seeing you here. I bet you have all t
he lycra gear with a pair of socks down the front of ya pants. I got a bit chaffed yesterday coming home from work, I think I need to change my undie collection from Asda to M&S.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
This Chap has it covered Jon;)

Seriously when it is cold and wet, without some warm dry clothes and somewhere to change, it gets to be an issue. Nothing I have ever bought has kept me 100 % dry in torrential rain.

If you have to wear a suit at work and no whwre to change you are on a hiding for nothing, lobby your employer tell them you are saving the planet establish a changing room utilising a portacabin in the car park. Might encourage more to cycle to work.
With respect I disagree having commuted all year round with my suit trousers and shirt on. We have 600 staff and two showers often with hour plus queues

I’ve done this for 7 years (2 years with 2 miles each way and then last five years with 7ish each way)

Cheap trousers are never worth it. They leak at the seams in no time. Having said that I am trialling a 25 quid decalthon pair that are doing very well for the price so far

Cheap jackets are kinda worth it. But not very breathable. I have a Lidl thick padded , waterproof workman’s jacket for depths of January . A Aldi 25 quid fluro yellow jacket that is amazing for the price and a very nice lightweight and breathable gore tex

I have learnt over the years that the factory waterproof coating wears out. And despite trying many brands and methods for reapplying I do not believe the factory level of coating can be achieved.

So I do this - I keep my best jacket and trousers in plastic bag in my backpack. They only come out when torrential rain requires it. Otherwise I use my cheapo ones which do fine in light rain. Just won’t cope with 7 miles of monsoon conditions

Oh and keep a cheap shirt and trousers at work for emergencies ! It happened to me once when my trusty trews failed after 2 years . Soaked to the bone !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lledward

Aug 8, 2018
With respect I disagree having commuted all year round with my suit trousers and shirt on. We have 600 staff and two showers often with hour plus queues

I’ve done this for 7 years (2 years with 2 miles each way and then last five years with 7ish each way)

Cheap trousers are never worth it. They leak at the seams in no time. Having said that I am trialling a 25 quid decalthon pair that are doing very well for the price so far

Cheap jackets are kinda worth it. But not very breathable. I have a Lidl thick padded , waterproof workman’s jacket for depths of January . A Aldi 25 quid fluro yellow jacket that is amazing for the price and a very nice lightweight and breathable gore tex

I have learnt over the years that the factory waterproof coating wears out. And despite trying many brands and methods for reapplying I do not believe the factory level of coating can be achieved.

So I do this - I keep my best jacket and trousers in plastic bag in my backpack. They only come out when torrential rain requires it. Otherwise I use my cheapo ones which do fine in light rain. Just won’t cope with 7 miles of monsoon conditions

Oh and keep a cheap shirt and trousers at work for emergencies ! It happened to me once when my trusty trews failed after 2 years . Soaked to the bone !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strong solution of good fabric conditioner can form a pretty good dwp - not long lived, but cheap.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
My commute is 7 miles each way, all down hill going to work and uphill all the way back, not quite, but near enough. I will only get chance a couple of days a week to ride my bike as I cover most of the UK. I’m determined to ride my bike when I can wet or dry. Nice to gain lots of post from experienced riders and thank you all. I guess I’m going to have to see what works for me.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Nothing I have ever bought has kept me 100 % dry in torrential rain.
I have said before, my Quiksilver jacket is the absolutely most waterproof, windproof and comfortable outer I have ever owned.

Something like: https://www.quiksilver.co.uk/mission-snow-jacket-for-men-3613373689641.html#cgid=snow_snowshop_snowjacket&start=1&hitcount=55

Mine does not have a full hood so there is the possibility of drops making their way down but have never actually noticed any. The gently elasticated cuffs are supreme at keeping wind and rain from rising up the sleeves. I don't mind if my hands get a bit wet from cheap gloves. The DryFlight material seems to be almost 100% impervious to wind and water.

Mind, the price I paid was far, far less - end of season bargain. :)

I have some pretty boring Altura waterproof over-trousers which seem pretty good but they tend to be much more claggy feeling inside.

Finally, what I wear all year, neoprene wellies - from Aldi. Maybe if I were going on long rides I'd wear something else.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I'm not keen on £160 for a jacket Bob, like the sound of your Aldi boots. Remember I'm a tight Yorkshire man

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm not keen on £160 for a jacket Bob, like the sound of your Aldi boots. Remember I'm a tight Yorkshire man
Nor was I keen on £160 - I think I paid about £50 (maybe plus P&P). Definitely an end-of-season/surplus stock purchase.

The boots were a penny or so under £20.

Just checked:
Sub Total 50.00
Discount 0.00
Shipping Method UK Standard Delivery - Free
Shipping Cost 0.00
(Total Ex VAT 41.67)
(VAT Content 8.33)
Total Inc VAT 50.00

Last edited:

lledward

Aug 8, 2018
My commute is 7 miles each way, all down hill going to work and uphill all the way back, not quite, but near enough. I will only get chance a couple of days a week to ride my bike as I cover most of the UK. I’m determined to ride my bike when I can wet or dry. Nice to gain lots of post from experienced riders and thank you all. I guess I’m going to have to see what works for me.
For unfit me, in "damp" weather, going slower keeps me driest! Never underestimate how much sweat you can produce. Depending on your route, my experience is; stop sweat, stop roadwater (dirt etc) & only then worry about the falling stuff! That doesn't sell items, but I reckon it is the "commute" way. Much better to have a softshell on many ocassions that lets you get a little wet, than a rainjacket you sweat in! Poncho many suit on some days - that's usually what I carry when "going somewhere".

Advertisers