What are the main reasons for why you cycle?

squishydomain

Just Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Its a question of money...

I'd like to say that I ride for all the good reasons mentioned above and I suppose I do, but the bottom line is when i lost my previous job with a company car, we became a one car family and I could not afford another one.

My new job is in the centre of Brussels and my Electric bike gets me there almost as quickly as a car would, plus I get an hours free excercise a day. In monetary terms, not having to have a second car saves us a packet on depreciation, insurance, petrol etc - equivalent to a £16,000 a year payrise!

I could have simply cycled without electric assist - indeed I did for about 4 months, but the commute increased significantly and I had to shower before changing, which increased the effective commute time even more.

solobirch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2008
London
I used to use a motorcycle but I had an accident in Central London. Since then I have been looking for smoe kind of replacement and e-bike works perfect. I have 9 miles (one way) distance to my workplace - it took me 45 minutes on normal bike, but I had to take a shower etc. so the whole journey was about 1.5 hours. With e-bike it takes me the same amount of time but I do not need a shower after that :)
Appart from having e-bike we (with my wife) have normal road bikes which we are taking from time to time for a long (50miles+) weekend trips.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
dont like driving
cost
exercise

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Getting fit
Not having to use my car for short journeys /saving money on petrol.
Enjoying the countryside whilst being able to interact with folks.
I can take my dog along for the ride and let her have a walk in different places instead of same place every day.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
1. no slower than the car
2. cheaper in London with congestion charge
3. only workout I get in the week
4. avoids sweaty tube/ waiting for buses
5. oddly enjoyable:D

Woakesy

Aug 20, 2012
For me it was mainly because I love biking and moved close enough to work to be able to bike in every day. It helps that most of my route in is off road cycle paths which adds to the enjoyment. The money saved from doing away with a second car in the household also helped.

I used to ride in on my non powered bike but wouldn't fancy that everyday after a long shift at work.

Lynne

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2012
Barnsley
I ride a bike because it keeps my legs working, and therefore keeps me mobile. Now looking at e-bike because I'm finding conventional bike too difficult....and riding a bike is too important to me to want to stop. Bike riding is a joy!

Mikey

Jun 25, 2013
Well, for me it has to be two things:

Doing sports and therefore staying healthy

and

Being independent.

I find cycling really great because it allows me to go to places I would normally not find out about. You can be as spontaneous as you want and are independent of streets and traffic.

I especially like to cruise around in forests and try to develop some downhill skills :)

E-Bikes I think are great for longer distances or for going to work and not arrive there soaked in sweat ;)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Don't they have enough information on us without wanting to know why we ride a bike?:confused:

Mikey

Jun 25, 2013
Speaking of cruising around in forests: I arrived in London yesterday, just had to visit my family again, and tomorrow already I will join some friend on a little cruise they have been planning to do for some weeks. They rented a van online from Sixt and want to go to Forty Hall country park. All in all we will be four persons, and all our bikes will fit in the van so I reckon it will be a cool trip- Just hope that my
"skills" won't let me down..

Last edited:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I e-cycle because the silly grin on my face annoys other cyclists, especially when my beautiful wicker-basketed Dutch cycle model overtakes them uphill. I don't think the wicker pic-nic basket strapped to the carrier helps ...

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
This seems to be quite an old thread but here goes....

I always had a bike as a child, teen and then young adult but work took over and I needed a car. After moving to a hilly area I quickly realised I didn't have the strength, stamina or fitness to tackle the hills and staggering wasn't fun so gave up. Then we moved to a rural area on the Wales borders last year with quiet lanes begging to be explored but a 2-mile hill stood in their way. I had a rare lightbulb moment - an electric bike - bought one last autumn and haven't looked back.

I'm sure there aren't too many people here on a bottom-end, 20" wheel folding bike going out for days exploring local castles but I love it. It's given me a new freedom on largely traffic-free lanes and when I reach a hill I switch on the pedal assist and sail up it with a great big grin on my face. It's brought all the fun back into cycling and I wouldn't be without it now.

(I need a lesson in basic bike maintenance though, especially rear disk brakes because either I or they are not coping with the descents... :eek: )

Advertisers