What bike was stolen?

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
Just looking in the stolen section, and it appears nobody has bothered to put up any pictures of their bikes. Nobody has even offered a link to what they look like new. I see lots of threads using lots of names, but I'm not a bike dealer. I don't know many by name and certainly can't look up every bike on the entire forum to see if it looks like one I have been offered.

Bit of effort please people. If you can write a thread about it, you can show me what it is your talking about. It all seems a bit pointless otherwise. I don't even know what my own bike is called, never mind other peoples.

Thank you.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Some have bothered with pictures.

Like the police said, in their very own words " not a high priority, yours is only one of 500'000 stolen this year"

500'000 reported thefts in a year and still not a high priority. Photo or not, I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to getting ones bike back.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Bit of effort please people

I don't even know what my own bike is called, never mind other peoples..
Says the man who can't remember the name of his bike. Have you got a photo of your bike? and you can't take one once it's been stolen.

los monty

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2013

Like the police said, in their very own words " not a high priority, yours is only one of 500'000 stolen this year"

500'000 reported thefts in a year and still not a high priority. Photo or not, I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to getting ones bike back.
500,000 seems a bit high and differs from crime statistics.

http://ukcrimestats.com/

los monty

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2013

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
There is an awful lot of people who don't bother to report their theft.

As far as I can see, it is only the insured that report and only to get the required crime number.

Cyclists are low on the agenda in more ways than one. That's the most disturbing fact to me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is an awful lot of people who don't bother to report their theft.

As far as I can see, it is only the insured that report and only to get the required crime number.
I'm sure that's true. Some years ago a university group did an in-depth study of actual British crime and found that it was as just about as high as it could possibly be.

They concluded that even if we did away with all police forces, it would rise no further. The police function is not effective prevention but just arrest and later punishment. That punishment costs us a fortune, not just the criminal courts but the high costs of prison, £800 per week per adult, £1400 per week for the under 18s.

Put all those together and it can be seen that we are making things worse for ourselves. It would be better if we stopped arresting and punishing thieves. Crazy though it seems, that way we'd only suffer the theft loss, not the crime police, courts, probation and prison costs which greatly increase it.

Reactions: SRS

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
Photo or not, I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to getting ones bike back.
I looked at over half a page and decided it was a fruitless exercise. It appears to me that no pics have been posted, but I am picking my words carefully.

The photo would make a difference. I for one might of known what some of these people were talking about. I may of just bought their bike, knowing they had one stolen, but not what it is.

It's akin to me telling everyone to look out for my cat. It's a Scottish Fold. Are you going to look up what that is? I bet over 90% of the cat owners here do not know this well known UK breed. If they do, then what colour is it? It would be a useless post even on a Scottish Fold forum.

I was looking to see if I had found someones bike, but I can't help them if they can't help themselves.

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
Says the man who can't remember the name of his bike. Have you got a photo of your bike? and you can't take one once it's been stolen.
I have never known the name of that bike. It was for sale with smashed locks and wrong charger. No stickers but a fair explanation of why. I just wanted to check it was nobodies here. They did give it a name, but it was the name of the saddle. Perhaps I have the wrong idea, and the lost forum is just for moaning not looking. I wanted to use it to do the right thing though.

Yes I have photo's in case it gets nicked. Photo's of identifiable marks and parts. It's common sense. Sorry to see your rejecting the idea.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I have never known the name of that bike. It was for sale with smashed locks and wrong charger. No stickers but a fair explanation of why. I just wanted to check it was nobodies here. They did give it a name, but it was the name of the saddle. Perhaps I have the wrong idea, and the lost forum is just for moaning not looking. I wanted to use it to do the right thing though.

Yes I have photo's in case it gets nicked. Photo's of identifiable marks and parts. It's common sense. Sorry to see your rejecting the idea.
If you are worried that your bike may be nicked and it sounds very suspicious,
why don't you post your bike pictures on this forum.

If it belongs to anyone here, you will no doubt hear from someone.

The lost forum is aimed, mainly at members. Most would know what the bikes looked like or could easily find out.

Reactions: john h

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
If you are worried that your bike may be nicked and it sounds very suspicious,
why don't you post your bike pictures on this forum.

If it belongs to anyone here, you will no doubt hear from someone.

The lost forum is aimed, mainly at members. Most would know what the bikes looked like or could easily find out.
Are you going to say it's yours? lol

I can't help these people now. I looked up a few of their bikes, but frankly I don't think it is my job to chase after them all. I'm not employed as a care in the community worker.

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
I consider this thread locked now. There is nothing to discuss with anybody that still don't get my point. I can only repeat myself.

Advertisers