What Bottom Bracket for Volt Savile?

tampano

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2017
London
Hi everyone,
the story of the issues for my Volt Savile is too long for one single post...but...for now, I'd need to replace the bottom bracket. Volt Bikes is not answering at all (worst customer experience ever), a dealer/service listed by them in my area is not answering at all as well (lucky me)...so I brought it to a local repair shop.
The guy seems puzzled in finding the replacement part. The measures he gave me are:
BC 1.37 (which after my initial studies as an ignorant on the matter seems a common english standard)
and then he told me the other measure is 147.8...which to me makes no sense and makes me unable to search products online.
Can anyone spread some light on it?
Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
147.8mm is the o/a width of the spindle, quite a long size.
127/132 mm is about the most common sealed longer ones available, on ebay you may find one, they require separate loose bearings. If yours is one of these type then maybe new bearings can be just fitted ?

A pic is also useful.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

There's sometimes other options. Can you measure the length of the Bb shell (frame tube) and show a photo of the whole assembly from underneath so that we can see why it needs to be so long?

tampano

Aug 18, 2017
London
Thanks for the first answers. I'll totally post some pictures later when I go back to the local bike shop to talk with the guy again. I'm waiting results of his research or is other suggested attempt. The bottom bracket replacement is needed for on of the pedal threads is damaged. He said he'd try to file it a bit if he can't find the correct bottom bracket (apparently he found one only in the States).
I am a total newbie on bike stuff...but I'm learning :) Why didn't the guy mention other solutions?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bb shell width will be a std 68 or 73mm, the only reason I
see for such a long spindle is for very wide rear stays !!!.
If the cranks arms are a sq taper fit and the pedals thread is no good all it requires is a pair of new crank arms and if he can't find a pair of arms to fit you could possibly retro fit a pair of BBS01/02 crank arms.
147mm probably makes for quite a wide Q factor.

D

Deleted member 4366

The bb shell width will be a std 68 or 73mm, the only reason I
see for such a long spindle is for very wide rear stays !!!.
If the cranks arms are a sq taper fit and the pedals thread is no good all it requires is a pair of new crank arms and if he can't find a pair of arms to fit you could possibly retro fit a pair of BBS01/02 crank arms.
147mm probably makes for quite a wide Q factor.
We need the measurements. You can't make assumptions. I've seen all sorts of non-standard widths on bottom brackets, some because of the shell length and some for other reasons, like furniture on the spindle.

tampano

Aug 18, 2017
London
So, the good news is that the guy at my local repair shop was able to file the a bit the bottom bracket end where the thread was damaged (thread to attach the left pedal arm).
The bad news is everything is now in place so I will be just able to take pictures of the reassembled thing :)

And now that the bike is up and running again...I'll post my questions in another dedicated thread. I'd love to better understand what can I do, how can I eventually play with the electrical part...I'm a trainer for computer technicians so I HAVE TO understand these kind of things. It pisses me off that there's poor official documentation for all the chinese things inside this bike...and it takes lot of wild googleing to find some info.

Luckily this forum reminds me the kindness and expertise of when I quit smoking and started vaping and joined PlanetOfTheVapes!!!

See you in another thread. Be kind to me...I'm all new to this

P.S. - I am still interested in understanding what solutions I have for my bottom bracket...if it's needed in the future.

Advertisers