What is reasonable price for nipping up bike disc rotor?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
£7?
£2 for the work, £5 to take your money.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Halfords often do things like that for nothing.

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
£10. Bought an e bike from there this year for £1400. Shame as I've had good experience in past.

I know it's only a tenner but I had the tools to do it at home which made it worse. When he told me mechanic will sort it and didn't mention cost I assumed it was for nought.

Lesson learnt. Next time I will get a price before my bike is touched.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
£10. Bought an e bike from there this year for £1400. Shame as I've had good experience in past.

I know it's only a tenner but I had the tools to do it at home which made it worse. When he told me mechanic will sort it and didn't mention cost I assumed it was for nought.

Lesson learnt. Next time I will get a price before my bike is touched.
.. hang on... Lbs also needs to make money, otherwise they are no longer there for you in the future. More importantly, a person from this shop interfered with your brakes, had you been thrown off the bike by the brakes binding afterwards, would you have been likely to sue the lbs for broken teeth. They would have been liable.

.. you know the old story of the fitter being called to a big machine which had stalled. He goes up to it and bangs it with a lump hammer and it starts working , and then asked for twenty quid. The indignant factory owner complains .. you only hit it.. so he gets an invoice for 200 quid ,. Labour 5 quid, knowing where to apply labour 195 ...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
.. hang on... Lbs also needs to make money, otherwise they are no longer there for you in the future. More importantly, a person from this shop interfered with your brakes, had you been thrown off the bike by the brakes binding afterwards, would you have been likely to sue the lbs for broken teeth. They would have been liable.

.. you know the old story of the fitter being called to a big machine which had stalled. He goes up to it and bangs it with a lump hammer and it starts working , and then asked for twenty quid. The indignant factory owner complains .. you only hit it.. so he gets an invoice for 200 quid ,. Labour 5 quid, knowing where to apply labour 195 ...
Surely the legal responsibilities are there regardless of whether job is paid for or free.
I have 3 bike shops near me..
One... has a tendency to fudge the detail to make a sale even to selling one that was a size too small for someone I know.
Two... just can't be bothered.. I have stood at the counter on a few occasions waiting for someone to show interest.
Three.. always there, advice seems honest and to the point and small fixes are generally free. Other fixes are often while you wait over a cappuccino ..
My money is spent at three.
I forgot Halfords who are good and will remove stubborn nuts and cassets free.. providing there's someone older than 16 on duty..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Xdrive

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2016
West yorkshire
£53.00 plus vat....that's our minimum charge.
Compare to a BMW dealer,minimum charge now £128.00 plus vat.
KudosDave
What has the price at BMW got to do with bike shop? My local butcher charges £10/hr for cleaning meat.

I'm assuming the price you have quoted is for an hour's work! I'd hate to think how someone would react after getting a puncture fixed from your shop.

Quite frankly if LBS need to make money this way in order to remain open I'd rather they close.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
What has the price at BMW got to do with bike shop? My local butcher charges £10/hr for cleaning meat.

I'm assuming the price you have quoted is for an hour's work! I'd hate to think how someone would react after getting a puncture fixed from your shop.

Quite frankly if LBS need to make money this way in order to remain open I'd rather they close.
OMG you surely didn't expect the £53.00 gets you any work,that's assessment and analysis time....we don't have mechanics,we have technicians,you have to pay extra for the job title.
By the way,we are not an LBS we are an e-bike academy.
We don't fix punctures,prefer the modern way of 'plug n play',it's so much more efficient to replace the entire wheel,keeps the spares guys in employ as well,everyone gains.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A tenner is reasonable for a LBC to charge as they have overheads and aren't a charity, the employee has to be paid and was probably taken from another task.
End of the day they provided a service.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
C`mon, stop taking the P,

don`t be coy, so what does £60.60p actually get me in your fine bicycle academy??
A nice smile from one of my reception ladies and a cup of coffee.
I can guarantee top quality workmanship from my highly skilled technicians,we ensure retention of our labour by putting them on the latest employment contracts....that is minimum wage and zero hours. Please make an appointment because some of them are on the job testers....deliveroo riders.
Make it quick because post Brexit our super competitive rates might have to rise if we lose the Polish guys.
KudosDave

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A nice smile from one of my reception ladies and a cup of coffee.
I can guarantee top quality workmanship from my highly skilled technicians,we ensure retention of our labour by putting them on the latest employment contracts....that is minimum wage and zero hours. Please make an appointment because some of them are on the job testers....deliveroo riders.
Make is quick because post Brexit our super competitive rates might have to rise if we lose the Polish guys.
KudosDave
Do you service rickshaws?

Advertisers