What was the best thing (non bike) you bought in 2015?

eBoy

Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2014
I love messing with meths! Great fun for camping! I also had a tiny Optimus stove for years. I put it on eBay, expecting around a tenner, but the bidding went up to 80 quid, with bids from abroad too! Nice surprise, maybe they are collectable! Johnny

Reactions: EddiePJ

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the kind words Tillson, but there is really nothing to be envious of.:)

The simplest of wood fired ovens can be constructed just using a few second hand bricks, and I'm sure that said build would give just as much satisfaction to the user. :)

Being honest, mine is very OTT, and is highly efficient in respect of insulation properties, with the outside of the main dome never getting remotely warm. It also stays hot enough to cook on for nearly five days. I normally start of with something like pizza, then bread, then slow roast, then casserole, and if really keen finish with meringue.

I love cooking outside, and whilst I constructed the stove for my use, it was also a business idea that never came to anything. Being bespoke and not an off the shelf modular system, the costs just didn't add up, and it would never have been viable, or affordable.

I frustratingly also made it too big! I got sucked into researching the build, and inevitably ended up taking on board what was written on forums. There are two main sizes used 36" diameter and 42" diameter. Stupidly I choose the bigger, thinking that it would be more practical, but it isn't, as it takes longer to heat up, and uses more wood. The latter is of no importance to me, but time often is.
Forums was also another bad move when it comes to buying materials. Not being rude, but I think that many people that build them are either DIY fanatics, or clueless office workers, with no practical experience. Using stated materials lists from countless builds, I ended up with almost a third of the materials left over, and the price of refractory bricks and insulation is horrendous money. I can only assume that people waste more than they use.

Anyway, I try to use it at least once a month, and have gained many new friends since building it. It's pointless firing it up just for myself, my wife and my daughter, so I invite anyone and everyone around. Next year will also see the start of a monthly beer and pizza club. I had a couple of tries at this over the last year, and it proved to be very popular. Again, it's just an open invitation, the only stipulation being that people bring along a few beers and some pizza toppings.

The lamb and pork cooked in it today, in readiness for tomorrow came out beautifully. The meat was left to slow cook for 8hrs, pretty much all of the residual fat disappears completely, and the meat just melts to nothing in the mouth. I love food. :)

This was the very first pizza that I made and cooked. Actually that is a bit of a lie, as my daughter is the dough/pastry expert. I'm crap at it! Note the home made pizza peel. :)

You're too modest. Now I'm envious of your food and culinary skills. Aaaggghhh, I'm being eaten away by jealousy!

Really, it is very nice and what a good way to bring people together, communal cooking (be careful how you say that) and beer.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I thought that I had some photos of it in action, but it appears that I don't.

I used to use it to make two sizes of dowel, 1" and 1/2" The downside of it, is that it takes a bit of time and patience to set it for a particular size of dowel.
There are two blades to set, and it is quite easy to get it wrong.
It is also pretty hard on the drill as well, so I used to make five minute batches, then let the drill cool down.

It's still an impressive bit of kit though. :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I try not to do anything these days but the temptation to go for these 'toys' is Incredible.

BrandonJe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 6, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: Fordulike

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I bought a MINIX NEO X8-h Plus between Christmas and the New Year. Only just got around to exploring what it can do. It now rates as one of my best purchases of 2015.

Reactions: Fordulike

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I'm with Yamdude, I bought a Chromebook last year as well and it's a revelation! Starts up as fast as I can key my password in, and is bloatware free.

I write most of my forum posts using either that or my Nexus 7 tablet (which was my best buy of 2014).

I've put in an order for a Moto E 2nd Generation just today and now priced at just over £70, I'm reckoning that's going to go into the mix as well.:)

Reactions: tillson

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
For me it is my twin pack of Sonos Play 1 speakers. They sound brilliant and I love the integration with my media library and Deezer account. I can also select which room I want to play and can have different music playing in both rooms.

Advertisers